Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Ubuntu (GNU/Linux) users out there?

I got EFILive (and other stuff) working through VMware Server (free virtualisation). I regularly contemplate the permanent change over to Linux, and Ubuntu is my number one choice currently (used to be a Mandrake/Mandriva fan)
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Should also mention that there is a new version of Ubuntu 6.10 due out at the end of this month. I would probably hold off going full time till that is released.

If you have a good video card (ATI or Nvidia) in your laptop/desktop you should check out XGL and Compiz - totally awesome window manager and wicked eyecandy
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Yeah , SuSE did a good thing there with XGL and Compiz , Sun had something they called Looking Glass that was kind of cool , but it has never went anywhere .
    SuSE 10.2 will be out soon also , PCLinuxOS is a Mandriva spin off and better and eaiser than Ubuntu . Go to www.Linux.org and read the article "7 Distros for a old Think Pad" .
    Never got Ubuntu to work right on my Alienware laptop , to much trouble , do this package , sudo , shell command and install this , forget it SuSE and PCLinuxOS install and not any fuss .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

could someone explain to me, in technical terms, sans the zealotry, wtf is so special about Ubuntu? I've been dealing with linux for almost 10yrs now, tried a lot of distros, and i dont see anything innovative/breakthrough about it.

LOL. There is really nothing special about any Linux distro IMO as they basically all use the same packages (maybe changing file locations etc.).

My first experience with Ubuntu was with 6.06 version (currently still the GA version) and the thing I liked about it (thinking commercial here) is the 5 years of support from a FREE distro.

Previously I used Mandriva but my feeling is that they have lost their way a bit in the last few years...

EDIT: I've been using Linux in some form or another since it came on 3 floppy disks and X was optional and an additional 7 floppies
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Ubuntu seems easy enough for a Window$ user. As a part time rocket scientist, I like the idea that the second space tourist, Mark Shuttleworth is backing it with funding. The attitude there truly is free software for the masses. The support is good, the community is receptive to noobs, and so far, it seems to be doing what it's supposed to do for me.

MRK

Mirror your sentiments exactly!
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Ok , Spacemen make better OSs than other people ?
    Sorry , I just hate Ubuntu , the word even sets me off .
    It's kind of like a Microsoft of Linux , lots of money behind it and wants to take over the world .
    Please forgive me , I am new here and do not want to make anyone at me , but like someone else said "what is so differnet and new about Ubuntu?" (Debain has been around for a while) .
    I had the first copy of Corel (now Xandros) , about as bad as Windows 98SE .
    Statement not meant to anger or provoke anyone !
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Every opinion is valid. I say go with what you know and like. Just how we all came to be EFILive users
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne
    Every opinion is valid. I say go with what you know and like. Just how we all came to be EFILive users
    Here , here , I agree .
    Waiting for my EFILive to arrive ( Jesse where is it ? :-( and thought I would do a little snooping arround on the forum .
    So much to learn , so you will probably be seeing my ID here alot asking dumb questions , dumb to everyone else but important to me .

Again sorry about the U***** thing , just gets me every time I see it .
    2006 Trailblazer

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast