Thread: Issue retrieving current emulated OS from roadrunner

Default Issue retrieving current emulated OS from roadrunner

Hopefully I am not missing something basic here - I currently have the roadrunner powered by the USB port sitting on my workdesk and am trying to get it setup for installation.

What I would like to do is read the currently emulated image from the pcm. Whenever I select "Read Operating System and Calibrations from RoadRunner pcm" it seems like I get the OE flash image on the pcm"

Case in point:
    1) Fresh roadrunner - click "Read Operating.." - I get an f-body calibration, OS 12202088
    2) I have an '00 vette, want to upgrade to a '02 V5 OS. I have the V5 OS .tun file as well as a stock OS tun file from the same OS(12212156).
    3) I open the custom os file (02020005) and click program OS and calibration data. This seems to work.
    4) I then open the stock file with OS 12212156 and click program calibration data - this works as well.
    5) I click "Read Operating System..." - I still get the same f-body calibration OS 12202088.
    6) If I click "Program Calibration..." (not OS & Cal) then I get the error "The *.tun file's operating system number: 12202088, is not compatible with the RoadRunner's operating system number: 02020005. ..."

So it seems the correct image is downloading and stored in emulation, but I can not discover how to copy it back out. Since I am going to a custom OS I understand I need to do this to create a complete .tun file that represents my baseline (and I would like to do this to verify what is in emulation).

I followed the install instructions at:
    http://www.moates.net/roadrunner/livestart.htm

with the caveat that I started with the current efilive version from the website (build 467).

When I copied over their referenced EFI Live Roadrunner executables (http://www.moates.net/zips/efilive/E...61_520_430.zip) it reverted me to build 430.

After the issues I tried doing a repair install and this time not copying over the 430 executables (though I did copy over the .cal files - http://www.moates.net/zips/efilive/e...s_20060303.zip ). EFI Live now indicated build 467 but I still had the same issues.

(I did copy across the appropriate cal's for 02020005).

Not sure at this point if
    1) I'm missing something blindingly obvious
    2) It's a RoadRunner Bug
    3) It's and EFILive bug

I contacted thunder, who couldn't help me (appropriate people were out today) but directed me to Craig. Still waiting to hear back (it is Saturday after all ) - but hoping someone here may have some notion of what my problem is.

Hello Chris,
    I just got home from a long day. I saw your post and hauled out my RR and tried to do exactly what you are doing. I am running 430. I can't replicate your problem.

1) Fresh roadrunner - click "Read Operating.." - I get an f-body calibration, OS 12202088

On the tuning tool bar or the RR tool bar? If this is a "fresh"- (I take that as a RR that has never been used before?) RR then I don't understand how you would read anything in it unless Craig leaves a default file in the unit as a preop check.

3) I open the custom os file (02020005) and click program OS and calibration data. This seems to work.

Still on the desk or w/ the RR in the vehicle?

6) If I click "Program Calibration..." (not OS & Cal) then I get the error "The *.tun file's operating system number: 12202088, is not compatible with the RoadRunner's operating system number: 02020005. ..."

Once again, in the vehicle or on the bench?

So it seems the correct image is downloading and stored in emulation, but I can not discover how to copy it back out. Since I am going to a custom OS I understand I need to do this to create a complete .tun file that represents my baseline (and I would like to do this to verify what is in emulation).

I must be misunderstanding this part because, it seems that if you just "save as" then that "copys it back out."

Maybe are you trying to say that you want to put the custom OS into the RR to begin with and verify it? I have no problems doing this while the RR is in the vehicle and on the bench I have an adapter that powers up the RR via a Blue PCM connector that has power and the serial data line hooked up w/ a data port plug that I can plug my flashscan into. I think this might be where your question is going. From my limited knowledge of how the RR works, I believe the usb connector is merely a means to connect your laptop to the emulator card. I believe you still need power and a means to write to the "PCM" part of the RR? Maybe someone more knowledgeable about the system can chime in, I just know that I have never had any problems with the way I have been set up. I hope this helps.

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

Thanks for the reply! To clarify this is all on the bench (no bench harness, just through the powered USB port) - I was just trying to verify proper operation before I put the pcm in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc

On the tuning tool bar or the RR tool bar? If this is a "fresh"- (I take that as a RR that has never been used before?) RR then I don't understand how you would read anything in it unless Craig leaves a default file in the unit as a preop check.
    On the RR tool bar (I am doing nothing with the regular tuning bar; in fact my license is for scan only). I was guessing this was the default file - but it appears to be separate form the emulated file.

Still on the desk or w/ the RR in the vehicle?
    On the desk (haven't put it in the car yet)

I must be misunderstanding this part because, it seems that if you just "save as" then that "copy's it back out."

Maybe are you trying to say that you want to put the custom OS into the RR to begin with and verify it? I have no problems doing this while the RR is in the vehicle and on the bench I have an adapter that powers up the RR via a Blue PCM connector that has power and the serial data line hooked up w/ a data port plug that I can plug my flashscan into. I think this might be where your question is going. From my limited knowledge of how the RR works, I believe the usb connector is merely a means to connect your laptop to the emulator card. I believe you still need power and a means to write to the "PCM" part of the RR? Maybe someone more knowledgeable about the system can chime in, I just know that I have never had any problems with the way I have been set up. I hope this helps.
    Well I want to create a custom OS file that also includes my baseline tune - since the custom OS files don't have a tune I understand that I need to copy the os, then the calibration, then copy back out.

But your raise a good point - I wonder if it's because I am trying this with only the blue USB cable that all the data isn't getting updated. I'll throw the unit in the car tomorrow and see what happens (it's a vette, so a little more annoying than the old f-body - I was just being lazy and wanted to give it a checkout first )

Anyway thanks again, and hopefully it's just a partial functionality due to usb power only (though from what i saw of moates doc's it seemed that the usb port should power the emulator just fine - and it appears to *almost* do this)

Chris

I had no problem putting a custom OS in my RR when the PCM was out of the car.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Make sure you don't swap between emulated and flash memory. Some roadrunners are equipped with both and swapping between them can cause confusion - for you and the PCM.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Yep - not swapping between the two.

Got ahold of Craig Moates today, and we walked through the procedure together. It seems I probably have a bum roadrunner (it appears to only being doing a partial emulation write). I'm shipping it off to him to get it checked out.

Thanks for the help though!

Chris

You could try reading the OS with flashscan and see what it says is in there.
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

Lifetime Member

ChrisB - I just saw this thread. How are you?? Finished with grad school? A Vette , huh. Congrats!!!

Cheers,
    joel

Lifetime Member

I think that swapping between flash and emulation caused a nifty error last night ... it gave me a TAC code.. C1276 code.. a bunch of other colde IIRC P1516 which sorted themselves alone. So... try NOT to do it for some reason.... I hope I do not get anymore issues like this if i do not switch from them. I have c5 z06 2001
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."