Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EFILive software in Linux using WINE?

mrk - it didn't copy the main .exe's or the Configuration folder. That's is, two .EXE's and a folder full of files. Not sure why. Sometimes different distros put files in different places, but here is my layout:

The wine C: drive is found in your home directory. Mine is /home/brian/.wine/drive_c/

Therefore, when you install software it will go in the usual locations under that path.
    ie. /home/brian/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EFILive/V7/...

HOWEVER ... wine IS NOT restricted in where it will work, but your applications will still think they're under windows and look in windows'ish locations. Therefore, since EFILive is expecting its files to be in certain locations, its just easier to run the installer and let it build those directories for you. Just download the big file to your regular home directory, open up a shell, and type wine EFILiveV732_416_540_467.exe and hit enter. Or to make it faster, type wine EFI, hit the tab key to complete the filename, THEN hit enter

The installer will load up, and you proceed like normal. I did have one minor caveat -- the installer stayed on top and covered the Installshield window. I had to right click the Installshield taskbar icon, select move, then move it from UNDER the EFILive installer splash screen. You can see in my pics the Installshield window was UNDER the splash screen.

Anyway, once you complete the installation, you'll probably notice the same thing I did -- no EFILive_Scan.exe or EFILive_Tune.exe in the folder, nor any Configuration folder. To recap, that folder (on my system) is found at /home/brian/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EFILive/V7/ Yours may be slightly different (username, anyway) If that is the case, you'll need to copy in these files from another machine or your "real" drive if its mapped.

Using this method, you have a completely separate installation of EFILive for linux - no worries about messing anything up

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne
    Core 2 Duo's aren't 64bit are they?
    Actually, I'm pretty sure they are... Not quite sure how though...

Looks like you are right. Seems like the Mobile (Laptop) version might be as well... Interesting that they use the same Intel Chipset.. I have a Core Duo laptop right now - I wonder if I can slip in a new chip
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Looks like you are right. Seems like the Mobile (Laptop) version might be as well... Interesting that they use the same Intel Chipset.. I have a Core Duo laptop right now - I wonder if I can slip in a new chip
    I was actually investigating that... Apparently the chipset in my Sony SZ220 is certified for Core 2 procesors, so in theory, a Core 2 should just drop in (The CPU is in a socket, not soldered to the board)... As for the chipset, I don't know how they do it or if it's full 64bit... AMD's 64bit was built that way from the ground up. This appears to be a bit like the original Itanium, but in reverse with 64bit code "soldered" onto a 32bit platform...

Yeah I would have liked an AMD based system. We use HP and at teh time I got mine there was no enterprise class laptop with the AMD processor released down this end of the world.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Core 2 Duo's aren't 64bit are they?
    They most certainly are sir. The 5600 cpu also has virtualisation extentions too. Dual 64bit CPU's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_2_Duo

There was a reason why I was waiting to buy a new laptop..
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12