Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFILive software in Linux using WINE?

Question EFILive software in Linux using WINE?

OK, almost 14 hours, and for the first time since 1982 or so, I have not booted into a Microsoft product all day.

I want to try to run the Scan and Tune tools in Linux. It looks like WINE is fairly straightforward (at least on first look).

However, I do NOT want to mount my "C:" drive, where the EFILive programs, "My Documents" and my EFILive data files are located (among a few Gigs of other important stuff...).

I have a 5GB volume "D:" mounted and availalbe on my Ubuntu 6.06 desktop (It is also my "online" drive while under Windows - things a hacker/cracker/crackhead can look at and I won't care or lose any valuable data) that has a "LINUX TEMP" directory where I place files I want to get to easily in Linux

So, what would you Linux-heads recommend? Should I install a second copy of the EFILIve programs (that won't work, will it) on my D:volume, or delete the install on C: and reinstall on D: (but what then about the C: "My Documents" crap), or what?

Is it possible to mount a Windows folder only?

Is it possible to use WINE to INSTALL the EFILive software in my Linux volume and have a Windows EFILive and a Linux EFIlive???

Hmmm...

No big hurry, but if all goes acording to Hoyle, I'll be mothballing Windows by the end of the week!!!

Thanks!

MRK
    Last edited by emarkay; October 17th, 2006 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typo

You can only mount a block device so the mount will be at the disk or partition level. If you are still in Windows 98 land this won't apply, but if your Windows filesystem type is NTFS then it can only be mounted read-only.

Do you want to actually use EFILive under Linux/Wine to flash or just view logs? I recall there being some issue with getting the FTDI drivers to work .

You'll obviously have to transfer tune/log files in your transfer folder or on a flash drive or something.

I played with configuring the EFILive directories that exist by default under "My Documents", but stuff ends up going there anyway - well at least in the first versions of V7 it did anyway, haven't tried this for ages...

Let me know how you go with it all cause I might be following you soon
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

If you do not want a whole Windows partition visible to Wine, you could just mount the partition at, say, /media/win_d, then soft-link from the virtual Wine drive over to a data directory inside the mounted windows volume ...
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

Here's what I just did, your mileage may vary...

1. Downloaded the installer from EFILive.com
    2. Run installer under wine
    3. Copy missing .exe's and contents of configuration directory that installer didn't actually put in place
    4. Run EFILive scan and tune under wine

See attached screenshots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	efi_installer.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	1023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	efi_installer_complete.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	210.4 KB 
ID:	1024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	efilive_scan.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	1025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFILive_tune1.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	1026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFILive_tune2.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	1027  

Can you flash...?

I don't have my cable with me at work, so no idea. If I get bored, I can install linux on one of the laptops and give it a go.

Tordine, yea I am still a Win98SE user !
    Yes, I do fully and eventually plan to leave Windows to rust in a barren desert somewhere. Hopefully my plan is to complete testing in a week or two, and then see how long I can go without using it. (It will surely be those obscure and annoying "Crap there's no Linux way" that will get me to reload Win then, for a bit.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brains
    Here's what I just did, your mileage may vary...

1. Downloaded the installer from EFILive.com
    2. Run installer under wine
    3. Copy missing .exe's and contents of configuration directory that installer didn't actually put in place.
    Do you remember which ones they were - was it whole directories or just random files?

Quote Originally Posted by Brains
    4. Run EFILive scan and tune under wine
    Wow... The proof is in the photos (or so it used to be in the pre photochop daze...)!
    Where did you have the install program located - where did the files go to - (I presume to Windows Program Files)?
    So obviously this necessititated a new install somewhere?

I was sort of hoping for 2 seperate installs (Win AND Linux) - could I create a "Program Files" and "My Documents" under my Linux Wine directory (I created to test things) and "fake" the installer to think it's installing it THERE?

Brains, I am not asking you to handhold, but once I see and do, (and understand), I can teach...

Your input is sincerely appreciated!

MRK

Of course vmware should work. Also ntfs partitions can be mounted RW but they are not supported.
    Its also possible to mount a file in loopback mode such as cd, floppy and disk images. So you can play with all those combo's to get something exciting.
    Ill have a go with Xen on suse10 x64 and let you know how I go on my new Core 2 Duo with 2gb ram
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

VMware does work - never tried flashing but the apps are obviously fine. The thing is (to me anyway), if you spend most of your time i a Windows VM then whats the point in running Linux

Core 2 Duo's aren't 64bit are they?
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Agree , if people keep using emulators , I know WINE is not a emulator, no one will write software to work natively in Linux.
    Adobe just released "Flash 9 " so now Linux Video watching is complete , and watch out for the Nvidia Graphics Drivers , they have a flaw in them .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast