Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black box mode

Default Black box mode

Flash Scan has my VIN but didn't log in the black box mode, the Log LED wouldn't stay on. I went back and accomplished page 94 and it still won't log. What am I missing?
    99C5, mn6, Vortec T trim, Snow meth injection, AFR 205s, ARP studs,Comp 224*112*+2*.580", YellaTerra RRs, PRC Ti's w/dbls, Supermaxx LTs, No Cats, Corsa Indys, LS6Intk, Hurst, Fikse Aro18"s. Pilot Sports 315/30,265/35, 04ZO6 Shocks Hotchkis bars, EBC YellowStuff pads, SS hoses, LM-1, EFILive, 2002 OS. RPS dual disc Clutch, DTE Strut Brace & output shaft.

O.K, first thing to check is what the "Max Frames Per Log" is set to (Ctrl+PgDn), set this to '0', that means unlimited logging.

Perhaps the validation is not happeneing.
    Can you get your laptop out to the car?.
    If so, connect with the laptop, choose to validate PID's (Shift+F2).
    Then try programming your PID's into the F.S adaptor (Ctrl+PgDn) again to access that menu.
    Also, just as a test, try lowering the number of PID's you have selected to under 24, that gives best results anyway.

Also, when you try to log, does the log LED very quickly light up then go out? (It will do that if there is no connection to the PCM), or does the Log and OBD lights do anything when the log button is pressed?

Cheers,
    Ross

Lifetime Member

While we are on logging

Does the first log file get overwritten if the logs exceed the limit.

Do you need to clear the logs once you have saved them to the laptop and if so what is the best method.

Quote Originally Posted by Delco
    While we are on logging

Does the first log file get overwritten if the logs exceed the limit.

Do you need to clear the logs once you have saved them to the laptop and if so what is the best method.
    Once it approaches being full, the MEM LED will start flashing, once it is full, that is it, it will not start a new log or overwrite existing logs, it must be cleared by a PC.

Cheers,
    Ross

[quote="GMPX"]O.K, first thing to check is what the "Max Frames Per Log" is set to (Ctrl+PgDn), set this to '0', that means unlimited logging.

Ross, it was set at 600 and the memory was full, I down loaded/erased and set it at zero and now it works.
    I finally found the "validate PIDs" under the INFO radio button. Might want to add that to Pg 94.

Thanks, Curt
    99C5, mn6, Vortec T trim, Snow meth injection, AFR 205s, ARP studs,Comp 224*112*+2*.580", YellaTerra RRs, PRC Ti's w/dbls, Supermaxx LTs, No Cats, Corsa Indys, LS6Intk, Hurst, Fikse Aro18"s. Pilot Sports 315/30,265/35, 04ZO6 Shocks Hotchkis bars, EBC YellowStuff pads, SS hoses, LM-1, EFILive, 2002 OS. RPS dual disc Clutch, DTE Strut Brace & output shaft.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

[quote="curtbriggs"]
    Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    O.K, first thing to check is what the "Max Frames Per Log" is set to (Ctrl+PgDn), set this to '0', that means unlimited logging.

Ross, it was set at 600 and the memory was full, I down loaded/erased and set it at zero and now it works.
    I finally found the "validate PIDs" under the INFO radio button. Might want to add that to Pg 94.

Thanks, Curt
    There are two ways to validate PIDs:

1. Using the option under the "Info" menu. This option is for use when the PC/Laptop is connected to the vehicle via FlashScan. This is the preferred/easiest method for validating PIDs if you have a laptop (or a desktop close to the vehicle).

2. Validate PIDs via black box logging. This option is for use when you do not have access to a laptop and cannot connect your desktop to the vehicle - usualyl because it is too far away. And who really wants to lug their desktop out to the garage?

The idea behind black box PID validation is to allow the FlashScan unit to interrogate the PCM for supported PIDs, then when FlashScan is brought back to the PC and reconnected, it can report back the results of which PIDs are valid.

With option 2, you need to configure FlashScan to validate PIDs. You do that by using the menu option: FlashScan->Program selected PIDs into FlashScan. Then click on the [Validate] button. That sets up FlashScan to be in "PID validation mode".

Then take FlashScan to the vehicle, plug it in, switch on the ignition and press the [Start/stop data logging] button. Wait 10-15 seconds for the PIDs to be validated. Then switch off the ignition and take FlashScan back to the PC and plug it in.

Then use the menu option FlashScan->Read logged data from FlashScan and click the [Retrieve] button. That will cause EFILive to query the FlashScan unit for validated PIDs.

Regards
    Paul

I'm interested in the best method of clearing the logs too.

The way I've been clearing it quickly for another log run is going into FLASHSCAN CONTROL PANEL and hit the button "PID's" .... memory erased.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bK

The way I've been clearing it quickly for another log run is going into FLASHSCAN CONTROL PANEL and hit the button "PID's" .... memory erased.
    No, you don't need to clear the logs. Each time you start logging a new log file is created in FlashScan. You can clear them at any time. If the FlashScan memory fills up logging will stop and cannot be restarted until the log files are cleared.

Clicking on the PIDs button is the quickest (and appropriate) way to clear the FlashScan memory.

Regards
    Paul

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    Quote Originally Posted by bK

No, you don't need to clear the logs. Each time you start logging a new log file is created in FlashScan. You can clear them at any time. If the FlashScan memory fills up logging will stop and cannot be restarted until the log files are cleared.

Clicking on the PIDs button is the quickest (and appropriate) way to clear the FlashScan memory.

Regards
    Paul
    yes but if I only have space in the box for 1 min left and I start logging its going to stop isnt it - or does it overright the older stuff ?.

I would have thought once I downloaded the log to the laptop it would delete it from the box ? ie move the file ?.

If it doesnt do that what is the best procedure to clear the logs after I have downloaded them.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    [

Regards
    Paul
    Woops missed the last crititical part of that message

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast