Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greenhorn

Default Greenhorn

I'm new to EFILIVE and tuning, I am trying to pick up on
    what I need to do to fine tune the tune on my vehicle.

I bought a mail order tune and also EFILIVE commercial.
    but after my first logging trip I see I have 5 - 8 KR I think it can be better.
    and I also want to understand my vehicle better.

Most of what I have read here on this great forum seemed
    geared to v8's and I'm not sure what is applicable to my lil ole' IL6

So guys can you tell me where to start . links to tutorials are always appreciated.
    Last edited by Kdukes; November 20th, 2006 at 09:02 AM.

Welcome to the forum Kdukes!

I'm sure others will chime in soon to help you out.

You must have a wait4me tune. You need to pull timing out of that tune on the high octane spark table... a lot. Put your original tune back on and start from there. You will lose gas mileage and lose even more power with that particular tune.

Start logging your original tune. You may need to make some filters to prevent displaying knock from when you hit the throttle too hard. Tell about your vehicle, someone may be able to send you the tune from their vehicle.

DS

Yes I do have that tune, but I must say that from stock I did actually have gains. I started with about 12mpg city 14.6 hwy and after the tune it went up to 14.1 city 16 - 19 hwy (hwy depends on avg speed of 60 -65 vs 75/80 (leadfoot hysterisis factor).

My wife reports higher mpg's on her 04 EXT also.

I know you say well if its better why mess with it?

1. I bought the software I want to learn how to use it.
    2. there was this funky modulation at low rpms on my truck and the shifts were not as firm as i wanted.
    3. I find that the modulation isnt there with the stock tune, so I reinstalled the stock pcm and pulled off the stock tune and then copy pasted all the differences. Then I reinstalled the newer pcm (2x actually cuz i didnt realize its the computer thats locked into my cable and not the vin .

PS: about my vehicle
    05 Trailblazer LT
    IL6 (stock)
    Will be adding a CAI soon.
    wishing there was a forced induction kit i can afford.

So with all of that I will now say thank you very much and I will pull some timing in the high octane tables. I hope you understand I came here not to bad mouth or be a trouble maker, only to learn for myself.

Lifetime Member

Welcome aboard man, I bought EFILive first and then bought a PCM4Less tune and compared it to my stock tune, changed some minor parts (removed limiter, etc) and then flashed it to my TB.

Have you started playing with shift settings, Torque Reduction, spark timing, etc yet?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Yes I started playing with it, thats how I found out I had what seemed to be a high knock retard. I did some software logging and seat of the pants logging stock / aftermarket tuning.
    I was satisfied with the w4me tune, until I started logging. I realize "ALL" mail order tunes have to be rather general just because 2 of the same engines will never be exactly the same, as well as driving conditions and driver.

In the spirit of DIY, which if you don't have a shop and own this program you surely are deeply into Doing it Yourself. I am trying to amass the steps and knowledge to one day be able to help others as well as myself.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am utterly impressed that we now have our own forum dedicated to the LL8.

I would try changing the PE enable parameters and adjusting the fueling before I started pulling very much timing. Some of the spark knock will go away with a slight increase in AFR from stoich. I am running ~12.8:1 and saw ~2-3 degrees less KR.

Erik, what limiter did you remove? I cannot seem to get rid of the speed limiter.

Quote Originally Posted by blandmiller
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I am utterly impressed that we now have our own forum dedicated to the LL8.
    Yes I am very excited to see this.

I would try changing the PE enable parameters and adjusting the fueling before I started pulling very much timing. Some of the spark knock will go away with a slight increase in AFR from stoich. I am running ~12.8:1 and saw ~2-3 degrees less KR.
    I will attempt to do a little of this tonight

Erik, what limiter did you remove? I cannot seem to get rid of the speed limiter.
    I believe what you want is in
    {B0920}{B0921}

I had the same problem with that tune...the knock retard was out of control and I wasn't even near entering PE mode. Try tapping your accelerator quickly while coasting along at about 20mph. You will hear the knock. Being that overadvanced is not a safe condition for any engine.

Since we can't change burst knock for this engine, you need to tune it for regular driving conditions without rapid throttle changes. Try to hit as many cells as possible without rapidly changing throttle position. Where the cells are 0, you can increase advance. Where the knock exists, you need to pull some of the advance. Also, log your commanded AFR. If the cells are at 14.6, then change the advance in those cells. If it is near 12.5, you've gone into PE mode, and that can be changed on a different table. I'd worry about PE mode later since the car rarely enters it.

DS

DS8, wow, that opened my eyes, thank you I will try some of this once i get home tonight.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast