Thread: Open Black Box Files

Default Open Black Box Files

Ok, I'm a noob and had my first experiment with BB logging this morning. Everything seemed to go well, except for once I saved the file, Scan tool won't open it. When I went to save, it directed me to the "Bug Reports" folder and saved the file there with a .mem extension. When I go to open it, I get a message stating it's not a valid log file. I moved it to logged data and tried to change it to an .efi file with no success. How do I open the file and view the log in Scan tool?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Don't use the [Dump] option. The [Dump] option just saves a copy of the FlashScan memory (in a file called *.mem) for EFILive support to perform diagnostics and fault finding.

After you select the menu option: "FlashScan->Read logged data from FlashScan..." click on the [Retrieve] button to retrieve all the log files.

Then select the log file you want to view and click the [Preview] button to display the log file. Then just save the file with the name of your choice, use the Scan Tool menu option: "File->Save->Save log file..."

or

Just click the [Save] button to save all selected log files.

Note: You can select multiple log files to be saved by clicking on the first log file, then hold the [Shift] key down while clicking on the last log file, then click the [Save] button. EFILive generates the filenames automatically if you save them that way.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Yep - thanks. After rereading the manual for the eighteenth time, I just figured out that clicking on "dump" creates a memory only file that can't function like a log file in Scan Tool. Thanks for clarifying the save process. It'll be easy next time.

RevGTO,

Welcome to the forum.

You read the manual only 18 times...?

Cheers
    Joe

Thanks. Black box logging is successfully underway and I'm learning interesting things about my car ... like the KR I'm getting at WOT in 3rd gear. I'm still reading the manual and will be reading the forum here and on LS1tech to avoid endless noob questions ... learning the program, learning how to interpret the data, and learning how to tune to compensate ... an uphill climb. But the program is awesome!