Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder Select?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cylinder Select?

Very impressed with EFI Live capabilities
    I'm more of an OBDI hardware guy and have most of the tools but this is s&*t is so sweet!... props to the Devs

So anyways a Q:
    On the OBDI boxes there is a cylinder select byte to allow the ECM to function in either 4,6 or 8 cylinder mode- is there anyway to change this on the LS1 PCM? OR Has anyone here successfully used the 8cyl calibration to operate a serious 4cyl (doing a boosted ECOTEC project and looking at options)

Any all comments appreciated (other than diss'n on the prospets of my ECOTEC project :oops: )
    Regards
    WopOnTour

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

I have no idea how or even if it can be done on the LS1.
    But I think GM are coming out with a PCM controlled 4 cylinder mode for the LS2.

Regards
    Paul

4.3 L is a 6 cyl in a v8 computer. i sent one to ross.. I think this could be done???
    "If you can leave a black mark on the pavement, from the exit of one corner to the braking point of the next one, you have enough horsepower."

say for example, 1221256 operating system, at location 8027 , It will say what the cyl amount is. it is in 8 bit signed byte. a v6 cal will show 06 the v8 of the same operating system shows 08
    "If you can leave a black mark on the pavement, from the exit of one corner to the braking point of the next one, you have enough horsepower."

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    But I think GM are coming out with a PCM controlled 4 cylinder mode for the LS2.

Regards
    Paul
    Well on that note, the 2005 Supercharged Ecotec (ION Redline and Cobalt SS) uses an p12 PCM very similar the E40 shown in this thread
    http://efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=567

How much of the calibration file of this box is known so far and what can EFILive do with this box on the LS2?? Does it maybe have a cylinder select capability?
    Willing to donate a P12 with exisiting boosted ecotec software if anyone on the DEV team wants to take a look under the hood and see what they can do. Certainly with the P12 the possibility of an expanded market for your fine package might be added incentive?
    Regards
    WOT

can someone send me an unmodified bin? Ill play around with it too

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me
    say for example, 1221256 operating system, at location 8027 , It will say what the cyl amount is. it is in 8 bit signed byte. a v6 cal will show 06 the v8 of the same operating system shows 08
    Ahh right the 6cyl truck.
    Sounds like a similar byte to the OBDI ECMs such as the 1227727/'730
    Code:
    0x8009	C0h			; cylinders mask (4=0x80, 6=0xC0, 8=0x00)
    Well I guess the problem is I dont know if the LS1 box (1221256?) was ever used on a 4 cyl so maybe there will be no BIN to work from? Maybe better to go after a P12 solution?
    Regards
    WopOnTour

the pcm i was refering to was a 12200411 The operating system was the 1221256. The 4 cyl used a different computer.... From what i have seen anyways, ??

OIC Gotcha
    Well I do have a calibration PN# for the latest oem reflash file (12594936) for the P12 in a 2004 Redline, but dont know how to offload it from the ECM so was attempting to "pinch it" off the TIS installation or CDs somehow. Any other way to do it?
    Thanks
    WOT

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky

Regards
    Paul
    Oh, I thought you were asking if the V8 operating systems can be modified to run an LS1 using only 4 cylinders :oops:

Yes, the LS1 PCM can run a 4 cylinder, but since there are no operating systems around for a 4 cylinder (that I know of) then it's going to be tough to figure it out. Probably too tough, since I believe some code in the PCM operating system is different between 6 and 8 cylinder applications (therefor one would assume different code for 4 cylinder operation as well).
    What that means is you probably can't just recalibrate an existing OS for 4 cylinder operation. You'll probably need to make code (i.e. operating system) changes as well.

Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast