Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low hanging fruit and other newbie questions.

Default Low hanging fruit and other newbie questions.

Guys, new to the forum and EFI tuning wasn't sure the best place to post these questions. I've read thru the tutorials and think I have a good idea of what to do but like everyone else I need some quick wins to boost my confidence. I have an LS6 in a 05 CTS-V, my questions are:

1. Any custom OS templates available specific to this engine?

2. Do I NEED a WBO2 sensor to create a worthwhile tune or can I start without it and add it later once I get more experience?

3. Any advice on what to go after first for those quick wins? I'm looking for increased throttle response and HP of course but need daily drivability.

My car is stock except for CAI and Catbacks. Thanks in advance for any helpful tips or advice.
    2005 CTS-V w/tuner wannabe driver

Without a WBO2 you'll have a hard time dialing in your AFR decently ... it's $170 or so well spent ...
    As for starters, just follow the AutoVE tutorial ... helped me shave off .2 without any changes to the car ...
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

Welcome to the forum NewV! Garry nailed it. Tuning without a WB is more difficult than using trims. www.greenlightmotorsports.com has good deals on WB's.

Ok, so I need a WBO2 unit. Assuming I get an LC-1 do you recommend I get the LM-1 logging unit or is it just as easy to log it direct to the Flashscan V1 unit?

the lc1 is all you need, but i hear the lm1's a re a bit easier to install.

I also am a new user with 2004 CTS-V looking to have some fun with EFILive. I have played around with throttle response (throttle cracker and follower), which does change things, but not really affecting performance. I suppose the nest step is AutoVE tuning, although I am still entirely uncertain how much effect will be achieved with mostly stock engines like ours.

Quote Originally Posted by jkg
    I also am a new user with 2004 CTS-V looking to have some fun with EFILive. I have played around with throttle response (throttle cracker and follower), which does change things, but not really affecting performance. I suppose the nest step is AutoVE tuning, although I am still entirely uncertain how much effect will be achieved with mostly stock engines like ours.
    Are you using a WBO2? If so which one?

Had an LC1 (still do if you know someone looking for one). I moved onto an LM1 though because I tune other cars and it's a little easier to get in and out. Plus, there's not as much wiring to worry about.

As for your tuning questions...the best thing you can do at this stage is get familiar with the scanner/tuner software. Really understanding how the two work together and how to build the right maps is what will help you once you get a hold of a WB. For a simple bolt-ons LSx car, there won't be a whole lot you need to change. A little tweak to the fueling and maybe some minor adjustments to the spark table should do you. The rest is what I call "user preference" (ie fan settings, speedo adjustments, rev limiter adjustments, etc.).

plan to get LM-1, based on what I have heard on this forum. I think it can be temporarily wired in place of a stock O2 sensor. I am still a little foggy on exactly what an Auto VE tune does. I am trying to learn the bits and pieces of the EFI Live software by experimenting, but it is hard to find enough time to devote to it. I am still looking for the authoritative write-up for a step-by-step tuning procedure.

So far, I have found that by replacing the stock throttle cracker table with the one from the Z06 vette (same engine), I can get the car to really slow down when I get off the gas in gear, instead of coasting along (makes the care a little rougher around the edges - more chevy and less cadillac). My next step is to copy the throttle follower as well, to see what that does to driveability. And I am jus delighted with a 160 thermostat and resetting the fan settings - car runs 180s instead of 210s now -

Quote Originally Posted by jkg
    ...I am still a little foggy on exactly what an Auto VE tune does. I am trying to learn the bits and pieces of the EFI Live software by experimenting, but it is hard to find enough time to devote to it. I am still looking for the authoritative write-up for a step-by-step tuning procedure...
    The AutoVE tune uses the WBO2 sensor values to create a correction multiplier matrix which is then multiplied into the VE table;

each cell of this matrix is the correction multiplier for the corresponding cell in the VE table, and is obtained by the calculation of Commanded_AFR/Actual_AFR where Actual_AFR is read from the WBO2 sensor;

the AutoVE tune procedure first eliminates any other AFR influences, such as NBO2/closed loop and MAF sensor inputs;

the aim is to have the VE table "corrected" so that the actual AFR matches the commanded AFR;

once the VE table is corrected like this, then the AFR values commanded from the OLFA and PE tables will be seen as actual AFR's (i.e. what you enter into the OLFA/PE tables is what you will get in the exhaust);

it will also be helpful if IFR table contains the correct values (these can be computed using the spreadsheet); same concept: a correct IFR table means the actual fuelmass matches the fuelmass the PCM is requesting.
    Last edited by joecar; November 27th, 2006 at 02:59 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast