Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Low hanging fruit and other newbie questions.

i think the reasons for running engines hot is purely for emisions....

Quote Originally Posted by neil
    Found this on the web. It may be of some interest.
    Can't remember who produced it.

Proper Coolant Temperature and Camshaft Life!

...If you have dew on the grass, it is certain that you have water in your oil, as the crankcase is open to atmospheric pressure!...

Regards,

Neil.
    I still stand by my previous statement that water will still evaporate below 212*F (100*C). The boiling point of water is not some magic evaporation number that opens a flood gate. The more excited the molecules of water are as temperature rises, the faster it will evaporate. At least, that's what appears to happen when I see the water in my world.

But, the quote above raises another point that I don't agree with. How are our crankcases exposed to atmospheric pressures? Last time I checked, my LS1 has a PCV system that is like a one-way street. It will use manifold vacuum to relieve positive crankcase pressure. But, I've never heard of it flowing the other direction. The only time I can think of outside air entering the crankcase is when I change the oil.

Maybe I'm wrong on this one...but my gut has me thinking that big, long write-up is bull$h!t. No offense neil.

An interesting topic to say the least. I'd have to say that the engine is not completely 'air tight' to begin with so there's no doubt in my mind that moisture will find it's way into the crankcase. Some blowby gets into the crankcase when the engine is running and part of that is made up of air that has some moisture in it. When you shut off your car and the engine starts to cool down you're going to get condensation at some level occurring. The next time you start your car this condensation (water) will have made it's way into your oil pan. When you start your car again you're going to need enough heat to convert water into a vapour that will actually get recycled into the combustion process and burnt.

Todays engine technology is vastly different than our old musclecars. When were any of those blocks and heads aluminum? Even when you installed aluminum heads it was never a good idea to start driving the car until the heads had sufficient time to warm up. Also, aluminum has different heat retention properties than cast iron. Without making this longer, we're dealing with different oil technology, engine design technology, different materials and other properties that have changed the conventional thinking of the past. I believe that changing the stat is not necessary and in the end, can do more harm than good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123