Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FlashScan weekly update March 19, 2004

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Default FlashScan weekly update March 19, 2004

Has it been a week already? Ok, so I'm a day late, but it is still the 19th in the US

We have been working hard to get the latest version of the EFILive Scan Tool beta tested and packaged ready for release this weekend. You can read about the updates that will be available here:
    http://www.efilive.com/downloads/v63updates.html

Today, I want to explain the different products that will be part of the EFILive product range and what they will be called. That way, when information is released you will (hopefully) understand what we are talking about.

EFILive is a generic term that covers the entire product range, it is qualified with the following product names:

EFILive Scan Tool is our existing scan tool software and comes in two flavours: Standard and Professional. These two product codes are name STD and PRO respectively. The only difference is, the PRO version includes bi-directional controls.

EFILive Tuning Tool is our upcoming tuning tool software. It's product code is TUN and it consists of three integrated components:
    • The PCM reader which reads the existing calibration from your PCM to your PC for later editing.
      The PCM editor which allows you to edit the PCM calibrations with easy to use, intuitive, windows based software.
      The PCM programmer which reflashes your PCM with the edited calibrations.

EFILive FlashScan is our new hardware interface cable. It has new features requested by our customers:
    • Black box data logging, which means you can log up to 5 minutes of high-speed data directly in the interface cable itself, without needing your PC connected.
      Multiple A/D convertors that are integrated into EFILive's data stream which means you can log external equipment such as wide band O2 sensors and Dyno power output directly into EFILive correlated precisely with all the usual engine sensors.

EFILive FlashScan will be sold in two different configurations:
    • EFILive FlashScan Personal, code FSP, is the same size and shape as the AutoTap AT1 interface cable. It supports USB connections only. You can see pictures of a prototype FSP interface here: http://www.efilive.com/news_20040209.html
      EFILive FlashScan WorkShop, code FSW, will be about 3 times as large and will have more memory, more A/D inputs and an LCD display for displaying trouble codes with no PC required. It will support USB and RS232 connections.

Regards
    Paul

Lifetime Member

This is a little confusing, please clarify something for me.

Flashscan is just a hardware interface. In order to program a PCM the tuning software will be needed. Will the Flashscan cable be needed to use the tuning software or will an existing EFILive cable work?

If the Flashscan cable is needed to program with will the Tuning software and Flashscan cable be offered in a bundled package?

I was under the impression that Flashscan was a cable interface and programming tool in one package.

Thanks

John

The FlashScan interface cable, the EFILive Tuning Tool and the EFILive Scan Tool Software will all be bundled as a single package called EFILive TUN.

You will basically have the following package choices:
    • EFILive STD ATUSB - STD Scan Tool and AutoTap USB cable
      EFILive PRO ATUSB - PRO Scan Tool and AutoTap USB cable
      EFILive TUN FSP - PRO Scan Tool, Tuning Tool and FlashScan Personal cable
      EFILive TUN FSW - PRO Scan Tool, Tuning Tool and FlashScan Workshop cable

There will be several different licensing options for each of the TUN packages.

The FlashScan cable will not be sold as a stand-alone cable, it comes bundled with a license for both the EFILive PRO Scan Tool and EFILive Tuning Tool.

The existing AutoTap cable used by the EFILive Scan Tool does not support the EFILive Tuning Tool software.

Regards
    Paul

Thanks for this week's installment and the clarification. I can see the light more clearly now!

Lifetime Member

Black box data logging, which means you can log up to 5 minutes of high-speed data directly in the interface cable itself, without needing your PC connected.

Oh Yeah!!!! I can leave the friggen laptop in the house!
    joel

Default Re: FlashScan weekly update March 19, 2004

Um... so could we get a clarification - if I plan to buy the flashscan (TUN bundle), does it mean that I can essentially through my perfectly good RS232 autotap cable [ which came with my EFILivePro; purchased 6months ago] out of the window, or the existing customers are going to have a buyback/upgrade option for the cable, as well as the software??

Default Re: FlashScan weekly update March 19, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Iv_z28
    Um... so could we get a clarification - if I plan to buy the flashscan (TUN bundle), does it mean that I can essentially through my perfectly good RS232 autotap cable [ which came with my EFILivePro; purchased 6months ago] out of the window, or the existing customers are going to have a buyback/upgrade option for the cable, as well as the software??
    Now that is a good question to which we have not yet figured out a good answer.

The most likely solution (although by no means our final decision) will be a changeover arrangement - built into the upgrade price. i.e. it will be $X cheaper to upgrade if you swap your working AutoTap interface for a FlashScan interface. $X will be calculated based on the type of interface cable you have.

I guess everyone will want to know what $X will be but please don't ask because we haven't set any prices nor can we discuss prices.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bink
    joel
    That is the idea, lets face it, ALL our cars lift the wheels on launch at the strip right!, it's just one less thing to worry about having sitting (flying around) in the car.
    With approx 5mins of internal logging time that would give you at least 5 runs down the stip including logging the burnout and braking area etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    Quote Originally Posted by bink
    joel
    That is the idea, lets face it, ALL our cars lift the wheels on launch at the strip right!, it's just one less thing to worry about having sitting (flying around) in the car.
    With approx 5mins of internal logging time that would give you at least 5 runs down the stip including logging the burnout and braking area etc.
    Can you turn on/off the black box logging without connecting to a laptop? This would be handy/necessary while waiting in the staging lanes, for example.
    2003 Silverado SS
    N/A: 14.257 @ 94.63 mph
    N2O: 13.200 @ 102.3 mph

Quote Originally Posted by deezel
    Can you turn on/off the black box logging without connecting to a laptop? This would be handy/necessary while waiting in the staging lanes, for example.
    Yes, there is single a push button on the unit for start/stop, with LED's to indicate what is going on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast