Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

Hey all, my names Josh im new to the forum.
    Ive got a VX SS Commodore with a Mafless tune and a few go fast bits. Ive got myself a laptop for the car and have just bought a flashscan VI off Steve (Oztrack Tuning) but i have to wait until Christmas to use it

I was just wondering wat sort of things to lookout for and wat sort of things are most useful to use. I have had a brief read of the manual and have looked at the bi-directional controls and such and can see that if you play around with them too much you can really stuff your engine but i was curious about how to go about using it safely and get the most out of it?

Also if there are any good and useful dashboards etc that people have created and would like to share ide be greatful.

But yeah thanx for any help and i hope i can get used to using it with practice and the wealth of knowledge off this forum.

Regards, Josh

Hi Josh,

Welcome to the forum first of all!

Have you also got a Wideband O2 sensor under the Christmas tree? If not that would be a mandatory purchase IMO.

Very simply you will want to:
    - do the AutoVE process and ensure that your VE table is accurate (used in MAFless - Speed Density mode).
    - do Idle tuning to get rid of any RPM hang/surge issues you may have coasting etc.
    - Play with the spark tables to get some power
    - As you are running MAFless I would also highly recommend running an EFILive Custom OS (probably version 3) which will enable dual spark maps (both high and low octane) when running MAFless. In a stock OS only the Low Octane table is referenced running in this mode.

So in the mean time.. Order that wideband if you don't already have one lined up, and read lots on here

Cheers,
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Hmmmm lol, i really dont understand most of that but ill work on it. Na i dont have an O2 sensor but it should be something ill look into. Ive only got the scan not the tune so wat am i limited to? I know i can advance the spark but i also know i can stuff my engine if im not careful.

Welcome to the forum Josh.

The scan tool has bi-directional controls to help you trouble shoot or determine optimal settings; however, the changes you make are only temporary (as long as the BIDI panel is open).

If you intend to start tuning, you will need to seriously consider purchasing a wideband O2 sensor (or 2). Beyond that, there are several tutorials available from the help menu (scan or tune tool) and this forum to help get you on your way.

I dont know how far i will go with it but in the future if i start to get more involved with wanting to tune then i will upgrade to the tuning software but for now the scan tool will do. Just thought ide get all your suggestions on the best set ups/ dashboards etc. Or anything that is handy that i will be able to use with it. Im fairly mechanically minded with cars but wen it comes to tuning or anything technical like spark advance tables ive got no idea. thanx guys

Once you get your hands on the scanner, you'll be itching to tune

Josho - New to EFILive and tuning myself. I've had mine for a week and already making small tweaks every couple of days. The members on this board have been extremely helpful. I also plan on purchasing a WBO2 but for now settling for the smaller tweaks TAQuickness recommended. I have to admit I was skeptical of what I would gain with the small changes. However, I cannot believe the way even these small changes have made in the drivability and responsiveness of my car.
    2005 CTS-V w/tuner wannabe driver

Ill just have to stick to the scan tool for now but who knows wat ill end up doing. Ive already got a mafless tune dont by sams performance so i dont know how far i can take it from here. It goes pretty well though lol.

I just need some tips of where to go from now ie starting out. Wat to look for, wat to look out for and how to use the tool properly? Wat happens if you reset your fuel trims? are there any benifits from doing it? How far can i advance my spark safely? Look at the knock maybe? Just useful things. Sorry if i sound very basic but im only beggining to learn the tuning side of cars. Thanx Guys, much appreciated.

Josh,

G'day mate.

You can start by logging RPM, VSS, SPARK, KR, TPS, MAP, FTC, AFR, LTFT1/2, STFT1/2, HO2S11/21, ECT, IAT, and a few others.

Keep the number of channels no greater than 24.

Display logged data as gauges on the A dashboard, and as charts on the B dashboard;
    create some maps (e.g. AFR by MAPxRPM) to see patterns;
    there's a good PDF manual for the scan tool (press F1).

The BiDir controls will allow you alter spark timing and AFR, but the changes are temporary (present only while in BiDir mode.).

Try all that first, and see how you go.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast