Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Wide Band....how do we really know...

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7ute
    I just finished auto ve in mine & set the car back into semi open loop commanding 14.63 in the around town areas. I kept the wide band hooked up & went for a drive & the o2 sensors were switching between 14.9 &15.1 to 1. Makes me wonder which one is reading out.
    At the end of the day I dont suppose it matters as long as you tune with the one tool. I just wouldnt want to be pushing towards the lean end of the scale.
    Always run my PLX. Narrow band simulation on a 40 minute fully warm run: low is .105V, avg .645V and high .980V, the stock narrow band is .080V, .648V and .965V respectivly. Seems like a .003V difference on average.
    Y2K C5, M6, LS6 intake, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, 216/224 113 LSA, 5.3 Stage II heads. STS twins. COS

Quote Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
    I can't see it being the extra load. The PCM is fueling based upon the the load it measures and looks up the appropriate fuel. I'd lean towards the LM-1!

It was kinda meant to be a joke. We don't have different fuel tables for 1st gear, 2nd gear, etc.

There is something to cycle speed and ignition advance

Another vote for PLX- not sure how they do it but it no cal, just right on.

2000 C5 Coupe, 6M, Callies/Mahle stroked LS7 (441), Blackwing, Halltech, LS3 intake, 90mm Shaner TB, ported L92 heads, FAST 50# inj, not too much cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers , 3" catless mid pipes, Z TIs, track suspension, , 3:90 rear, EFI V2, LM-2, etc.
    PowrMax Performance

100 mm PowrMAF

LM-2 EFILIve package with TAQ -sLM2 V-2 serial cable> Package deals

Quote Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
    The problem with that theory with respect to this is that I had both WB in the same tail tip!

At one point I had the Autronics in the bung after the header collector and the LM-1 in the tail pipe. The Autronics at idle was reporting an idle AFR of 21:1. The motor is bone stock in which we just installed a ProCharger. There was no way it was that lean and idling rock solid at 650!

My point is one; how can you confirm and AFR to calibrate your WB?

Do you disagree that a stone stocker should produced a AFR of 14.7 +/- .1 at idle and that can at least verify that when your WB reports the same that we are at least in the ballpark?

You ever heard of a Hariba (I think its spelled wrong) AFR meter?
    It's hard to here sarcasm in text... But you're right - something is bad wrong in the WB calibrations. The only way to confirm your calibration is to test against a known mixture.

Lifetime Member

If you carefully look at the connector of a 5 wire O2 sensor you'll commonly see 6 or more pins. the extra pin or pins contain a component that the manfacturer selected during test so that fixed calibration electronics have a chance of being close. Calibrating to 20.9 in free air should make for a more accurate system. It is possible to obtain known sample gas to test and calibrate measurement systems but it's neither inexpensive nor easily used. Measuring at the end of the exhaust system gives misleading results whenever the flow is low enough and the time between pulses is long enough that air is drawn back into the pipe.

I believe that a Hariba is a odd 4 wire narrow band sensor that is held to tight enough specifications that it can be used for wider band measurements. A modern 5 wire sensor system should be more accurate over a wider AFR range.

Ira

My car runs best when my Dynojet WB indicates around 11.8. Is that the true a/f ratio? Probably not. The truth to me is the time slip, so I guess I really view it as a tool to compare changes. A rough analogy would be flowing a head on my flow bench and then flowing on another bench. No two benches read the same, so which one gives you the real #?

Quote Originally Posted by VHR
    My car runs best when my Dynojet WB indicates around 11.8. Is that the true a/f ratio? Probably not. The truth to me is the time slip, so I guess I really view it as a tool to compare changes. A rough analogy would be flowing a head on my flow bench and then flowing on another bench. No two benches read the same, so which one gives you the real #?
    11.8..............I hope its boosted! In my experience there is never really any "big" power in the AFR but its key to providing a mixture that gives the cleanest burn and allows for cylinder cooling.

I disagree about the varience. AFR is AFR. Its a ratio of something and shouldn't vary at specific ratios. Same thing with the flow bench. Dyno's are another story since they conditions are much harder to control.

Bottom line is it would be great to have some kind of test tube device that can produce an engineered AFR to calibrate these units!

Howard

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

I really dont know what to say, however you should find this discussion illuminating. http://www.tractorsport.com/cgi-bin/...ikonboard.cgi?

I just realized I messed up the link, go to flowbench general and rear the top thread about the plates.

i am curious to see the outcome of this. I know right now I have an LM-1 and it says my truck runs at idle at 14.63:1. I am going to try re-calibrating using the oxygen generator at work. I know that was tested to put out 96%pure oxygen and 4% mixed atmospheric gases. if i fill up a bag straight from the generator, i should have that known mixture. I am going to see if this changes what the sensor say's my truck runs at idle. hopefully i can get some understanding from this. I was always suspect of what was said above. Is my thinking right or way off??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12