Thread: To buy 07 Classic(legacy) Silveado or new 07 with DOD and AFM

Default To buy 07 Classic(legacy) Silveado or new 07 with DOD and AFM

I'll be buying a new 07 truck soon and am wondering how Displacement On Demand(DOD) and Active Fuel Management(AFM) on the new GM truck engines effects tuning them with Flashscan? They have a faster clock speed in their CPU and more RAM to deal with these new features. I don't know if I should opt for one of these new style motors or stick with one of the left over 07 Silveado "Classics" as they are calling them which don't have either DOD or AFM. Upgrading the camshaft on the DOD engines isn't going to happen because of the special lifters and cam lobes on the 4 cylinders that are disabled when DOD is enabled. The cam phaser which is mounted on the front of the cam drive sprocket rules out an adjustable double row timing set altho they say they have installed a better timing set on the engine that use AFM. That means I'll be looking for someone to sell my Rollmaster and cam to if I buy one of the new style 07 trucks.

The 2007 "legacy" type vehicles should still be running the old Warren type PCMs that should be supported by the V1 and V2 cables with the current EFILive software (although I haven't tried connecting to one yet). The 2007 new style trucks and SUVs use an E38 ECM and are not yet supported by EFILive - but they are expected to be supported soon (I think they are saying 1st quarter of 2007).

I think the new 2007 5.3L engine makes more power than the old 5.3 depending on which engine you get. I think they have four different versions of the 5.3L V8 in the trucks for 2007. Two are cast iron block and two are aluminum block.

People have successfully changed the camshafts on the DOD/AFM trucks. The cam phaser engines are a different problem because it takes a special camshaft with an oil passage in the cam to drive the cam phaser. It will be a little while before camshafts are available for these. Not all of the engines have the cam phaser. The 6.2L does. I am not sure which, if any, of the 5.3 engines for 2007 have the cam phaser.

FYI - Displacement On Demand (DOD) is Active Fuel Management (AFM), they just decided to start using a different name/acronym for the system.

Jason