Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortec (L31) What's up?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Vortec (L31) What's up?

I noticed there hasn't been any talk here or on EFI Live's web site on the Vortec PCM. Apparently there is a option to read/program this older PCM with the latest update. I successfully read a 1999 C1500 5.7 PCM only to be stuck with an error message. I was unsuccessful trying to read a 1996 PCM.
    Unrecognised PCM "This version of the EFILive Tuning Tool has not been configured to display this PCM's operating system."
    Does anyone have any additional information for this PCM? I have tried other files, it will only attempt to load files that are 512kb or 1 or 2 meg. The early Vortec files are only 256kb.
    AL
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

i noticed this the other day also..havent had a chance to try and read the pcm of the older trucks yet...i also was able to read the pcm of a 06 or 07 v6 truck..didnt know that

Vortec cal files (so you can actually tune) will be release in January.
    It will not cover the 1996/97, just 1998/99. The 1996/97 is a different PCM style again.
    You may have also noticed the 4 & 5cyl support too. Same thing there, you can read them out, but cal files will be released over the next month.
    Also, if you do happen to read some of these new PCM types out, it would be much appreciated if you could email them to me - ross at efilive dot com so we can ensure we get good support coverage when they come out.
    We decided to add everything in so all we needed to do was distribute the cal files to add the support.

Thanks,
    Ross

P.S - V2 hardware is the only one that will work with these new PCM types (Vortec, 5cyl & 4cyl)
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Way To go guys! Just when I thought that my 1999 5.7L Tahoe was a total lost cause for tuning. (And my wife thought that that vehicle was SAFE- never to be modded) All those catalogs that just came in over Xmas with VORTEC parts, this is the only thing that has stopped me from Super HOE with heads and cam

Oh no wifey just got wind of this... "No dear, the bad men were just kidding the Tahoe is safe as stock.":wink:

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX

P.S - V2 hardware is the only one that will work with these new PCM types (Vortec, 5cyl & 4cyl)
    I take it that I will need V2 to tune on my "OLD" (1999)Vortech pcm? If so, another reason to speed up the upgrade. I am just gratefull for any "EFI Live" support for the old girl.

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

Ross is there any stream pricing available yet?
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Quote Originally Posted by ChipsByAl
    Ross is there any stream pricing available yet?
    Al
    Yes, the stream page has been updated to include the Vortec.
    Price is $1995, this covers 1998+ Vortec (V8 and V6), but not the earlier 1996-97 PCM which is different again (It has the big 5pin plug on it too) , That is slotted in to be added into support list at some stage, it's a little weird the 1996-97 PCM, it will take a fair amount of changes in our software to support it.

Regarding the price for the stream, looking at the other non EFILive options for the Vortec, you would have paid the same amount by approx the 15th tune if you were to go the other way, so it's a pretty reasonable deal. Oh, of course you could also just choose to pay per license too.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    It will not cover the 1996/97, just 1998/99. The 1996/97 is a different PCM style again.
    You may have also noticed the 4 & 5cyl support too. Same thing there, you can read them out, but cal files will be released over the next month.
    Also, if you do happen to read some of these new PCM types out, it would be much appreciated if you could email them to me - ross at efilive dot com so we can ensure we get good support coverage when they come out.
    We decided to add everything in so all we needed to do was distribute the cal files to add the support.

Thanks,
    Ross

How about Custom OS for these pcms?
    98 Chevy truck RCSBFS 2wd/5.7L/4L60E:drive:/Paxton Novi 2000 S/C @ 7psi / Megasquirt
    72 Chevelle LQ9/4L80E/GT42 conversion in the works
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449129

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by 350SS
    How about Custom OS for these pcms?
    Patience man, patience. I know you guys have had your trucks longer than my truck has been made, and that you will probably see a custom OS long before the LL8 folks do, EFILive has tons of projects on their plate right now like V2 Blackbox logging and standalone flashing (only real reason I bought V2), LS7 support, more LS2/LS4 stuff, etc.

Heck, I didnt even know there was an option to scan the L31, L52 (I5), or the I4s until a few days ago, there had been no talk of it whatsoever on the forums!! Basically, EFILive is putting a bunch of new stuff out for the New Year that I am pumped about!!!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22
    Patience man, patience. I know you guys have had your trucks longer than my truck has been made, and that you will probably see a custom OS long before the LL8 folks do, EFILive has tons of projects on their plate right now like V2 Blackbox logging and standalone flashing (only real reason I bought V2), LS7 support, more LS2/LS4 stuff, etc.

Heck, I didnt even know there was an option to scan the L31, L52 (I5), or the I4s until a few days ago, there had been no talk of it whatsoever on the forums!! Basically, EFILive is putting a bunch of new stuff out for the New Year that I am pumped about!!!
    I was just kinda curious if Custom OS take a while to come out after regular pcm support. I've actually already done the 12200411pcm swap that is Custom OS supported, so I don't really have a reason to go back to the 98-99 pcm, but like I said, just curious
    98 Chevy truck RCSBFS 2wd/5.7L/4L60E:drive:/Paxton Novi 2000 S/C @ 7psi / Megasquirt
    72 Chevelle LQ9/4L80E/GT42 conversion in the works
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449129

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast