Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Autove tuning tips

Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness
    What kind of revisions are you thinking of?

The goal of the tutorial was to get the basic steps in front of the user so they can get thier feet wet tuning. It gets complicated when deciding how much detail can or should be added as it has to be proven to work in a generic sense for everybody. The more advanced we make it, the more intimidating it may become.

But, I'm always open to suggestions/revision request.
    What about modifying {B3610} when doing VE tune. Should or should not be altered?

{B3615} Leave alone or modify for VE tuning?
    {B3616} Leave alone or modify for VE tuning?
    {B3617} Leave alone or modify for VE tuning?

It may just be a matter of degrees, but if it is possible to improve VE tuning by incorporating a few additional steps, it would be nice to see them addressed.
    2015 Z06 A8

My understanding about those tables are as follows...

B3610 - (PE Delay Bypass) Not applicable because B3608 should be set to "0.00" from the factory.
    B3615 - (Hot PE Mode Enable TP%) Not abplicable because coolant temp has to be greater than B3614 (set to 283*F from the factory). If you are flooring it with coolant temps that high, you need to park the car immediately and return your tuning software.
    B3616 - (Normal PE Mode Enable TP%) This is a personal preference table IMO. Adjusting this can be done before or after a VE tune and shouldn't have too much of an effect on your numbers at all. Personally, I like to set this 10% lower from 0-4400rpms so PE kicks in a little sooner down low.
    B3617 - (PE Modifier vs. Coolant Temp) Again, a personal preference table. I usually leave it stock.

Remember, when it comes to PE, you're dealing with adders or subtracters (also known as modifiers). Therefore, in theory, when you're setting the foundation, which in this case is the VE table, you're establishing the right base numbers for each MAP vs. RPM. That way, any changes made to those modifiers should automatically fall in line no matter how you change them. This is because they are added to or subtracted from the foundation you have effectively tuned - the VE table.

Lifetime Member

filters are useful and all, but all they help you do is to take out the garbage. CS people always say 'garbage in, garbage out' and what's why why have things like filters. however, i wanna stress something that i have not seen adviced anywhere: generating good data to me is more important that taking out the bad data.
    if you have a lot of bad data and good filters, then you'll end up with next to nothing for the result set. if you have good data with bad filters, you'll still have a good result set.
    instead of filtering for gentle transitions and steady flows, create them. long steady inputs are important. also what's important is creating data that's easy to filter out, to aid the process. for example, if you want to create a log that's got little deceleration data, then dont light deceleration, do a full lift (completely off throttle). this way when you filter, if you filter anything with TPS>1%, you're not gonna catch any decel, which helps.

What do you guys think of ensuring things like the aircon is off. I noticed with mine that when the aircon came on it would lean out from 14.7 to over 16:1. I left it off while doing the autove & then when finished ensured I was commanding 14.63 so the semi open loop correction would keep me from going lean . This helped to get my bens much more consistant.

Quote Originally Posted by NewV
    The tutorial as it stands is terrific. One suggestion I have is maybe an appendix with troubleshooting tips such as 'reduced power mode' ETC settings and DFCO disable for manual transmissions. There is alot of this scattered thru out the forum as they seem to be pretty common issues. This would simply consolidate it with the tutorial and it could be referenced by the tuner if needed.
    That's a good idea. This one comes up freqently. I'll look to get that in there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by redhardsupra
    however, i wanna stress something that i have not seen adviced anywhere: generating good data to me is more important that taking out the bad data.
    if you have a lot of bad data and good filters, then you'll end up with next to nothing for the result set. if you have good data with bad filters, you'll still have a good result set.

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
    It helps to use the floor board hump to the right of the gas pedal too.
    It takes a while to learn driving technique while tuning. Then there's the inevitable nut flexing that occurs while you're tooling along at 5k in 3rd. Hence good filters for bad data

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
    Keep in mind....during a VE tune, there's room to allow for a greater delta for the changes in TP%. It's the MAF tuning where you really want to narrow it down. This is because of the natural definition or depth of the tables in the PCM. To get a better grasp of this effect, try to hold a single cell for 20 seconds in a map mirroring the VE table. Then, try to do the same in a map mirroring the MAF table. The MAF tends to jump around a little easier because the natural distance from the cut-off point between each cell is smaller.
    Drove me nuts. !MAF - but that's just me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12