Thread: P59 PCM Support for 2004 and up LS1 and LS6?

Default P59 PCM Support for 2004 and up LS1 and LS6?

Will the new tuning tool support the new P59 PCM used on the 2004 and newer LSx vehicles? Please say yes so that I may tune my '03 Silverado SS and '05 Cadillac CTS-V! 8)

From GM, 2004 Updates... "POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE AND SOFTWARE WITH ADDITIONAL MONITORING FUNCTIONS
    A new powertrain control module (PCM), known internally as P59, manages all 5.7L LS1 and LS6 V-8 engines. Supplied by Delphi, this PCM increases clock speed from 21 to 24 MhZ and doubles memory to 1.1 megabytes, providing one of the most sophisticated engine control systems in the industry. The P59’s speed and memory provides the most precise engine management possible. It also optimizes performance according to temperature or operating conditions and virtually eliminates unintended variation in every function it controls, from ignition timing to fuel delivery to transmission shift points. Additionally, the P59 allows GM Powertrain engineers to monitor more engine operations and improves the accuracy and robustness of the OBDII (On-Board Diagnostics) system.

For example, the P59 PCM now measures electrical current flowing to the exhaust oxygen sensors (crucial components of the emissions-control system). Previously, the O2 sensors were monitored with a time-activity algorithm, which required more measurement latitude to ensure proper operation. The new PCM immediately reports a malfunction in an O2 sensor with virtually no margin for misreporting. It also allows a new Engine Off Natural Vacuum (EONV) diagnostic for the evaporative emissions system (ORVR), which prevents gasoline vapor from escaping the vehicle into the atmosphere. With EONV, the PCM continues to operate when the engine is turned off, monitoring pressure in the fuel tank and ORVR system. If pressure bleeds off more quickly than ambient temperature and other conditions indicate, the PCM can determine whether the system has a leak, even when the vehicle is parked and turned off. The new PCM ensures that the LS1 and LS6 V-8s operate according to the letter and spirit of government emissions regulations, and it helps both engines meet more stringent 2004 evaporative emissions standards, which increase ORVR leak-detection requirements by a factor of two (to .020, or smaller than a pin prick).

The new P59 is roughly the same size as the PCM it replaces, and it’s installed in the same place as the previous PCM in various applications. There is no visible difference in the engine bay."
    2009 Z06 LS7 / 2008 Sierra Denali AWD L92 6L80E
    Flashing control modules since 2001. 8-)
    Who needs a MAP sensor on a supercharged LS6 anyway.

Default Re: P59 PCM Support for 2004 and up LS1 and LS6?

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterSS
    Will the new tuning tool support the new P59 PCM used on the 2004 and newer LSx vehicles?
    For sure, we have a few of those PCM's that we are using for development purposes.
    There is alot more in those P59's than GM stated in that press release.

In fact I think they only went to the 1Mb Flash because they 'just' ran out of room in the older PCM, it's only about 55% full.

Lifetime Member

I just want to see the integration of boosted tables in these PCMs by GM...

The reality is that many people use them for boost and i believe that its not that difficult to add it.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Quote Originally Posted by The Highlander
    I just want to see the integration of boosted tables in these PCMs by GM....
    The PCM is specific to the LS1, I guess if GM ever released a S/C or Turbo factory LS1 then they would intergrate it.
    Chances are the software guys at GM are probably working on 2006 / 07 PCM's now, the current stuff is dead and gone in their mnds.

The reality is that many people use them for boost and i believe that its not that difficult to add it.
    Then do it :roll:

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    I just want to see the integration of boosted tables in these PCMs by GM....
    The PCM is specific to the LS1, I guess if GM ever released a S/C or Turbo factory LS1 then they would intergrate it.
    Chances are the software guys at GM are probably working on 2006 / 07 PCM's now, the current stuff is dead and gone in their mnds.

Then do it :roll:
    Sorry GMPX i should have said... The reality is that many people use them for boost and i believe that its not that difficult FOR THEM to add it.

For me its nearly impossible at the moment. I will be taking a FEW classes to see if I COULD POSSIBLY understand a few things on it.. jeje.. It takes quite a while to understand it, but maybe not for this models, maybe for future models. Might as well start now and after 5yrs (to put a number) maybe I can deal a few more custom things...

I know for the LS1 superchips in australia did it and charges 600 to do it... Heck I easily pay up that $.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."