Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caught in the middle between V1 and V2

Yes, the V1 will maintain all the functions it has before the upgrade. You will be able to scan AND tune your already licensed PCM with both V1 and V2. Really, you are only transferring selected unused licenses. It is "copying" (a better word) the USED licenses from V1 to V2. So it will still be on your V1. You will just no longer be able to add new unused licenses to your V1 after you run the transfer/copy utility that comes with V2. Make since?
    01 ECSB 1/2 ton 4x4 Forged 5.7 LS1 GMC

Custom KBracing front mounted, BW S480, intercooled turbo

Lifetime Member

Gotcha, so basically when I ran the update program and transferred my used LL8 license and 1 unused license it transferred the ununsed one but copied the used one? So, I can still scan/tune with my V1 cable on my LL8 then, good to know I can still tune with it (think you can scan with it even if you dont have a license hooked up b/c EFILive uses a license only when you flash not read like HPTuners).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kbracing96
    ...You will just no longer be able to add new unused licenses to your V1 after you run the transfer/copy utility that comes with V2. Make since?
    Does this mean that a V1 user who upgrades to V2 cannot sell the V1 hardware for someone else to use and add licences to?

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL
    Does this mean that a V1 user who upgrades to V2 cannot sell the V1 hardware for someone else to use and add licences to?

John
    If you leave at lease one unused license on it when you run the transfer utility, then it still has some resale value for a tuner and a scanner to someone else. But no NEW licenses can be added to it. If you transfer ALL your unused licences, then it only good to some one else as a scanner. Not near as much value. If your looking to sell it to off set cost of a V2, then I'd probably leave at least 2 unused licenses on it.

Would this be how it works (for example)...

Say V1 has 3 free and 1 used licenses;
    Say V2 has 2 free;

If I copy 1 used licence, then:
    V1 ends up with 3 free;
    V2 ends up with 2 free and 1 used;

Or if I copy 1 used and 1 free, then:
    V1 ends up with 2 free;
    V2 ends up with 3 free and 1 used;

Is this correct...?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar
    Would this be how it works (for example)...

Say V1 has 3 free and 1 used licenses;
    Say V2 has 2 free;

If I copy 1 used licence, then:
    V1 ends up with 3 free; 1 used
    V2 ends up with 2 free and 1 used;

Or if I copy 1 used and 1 free, then:
    V1 ends up with 2 free; 1 used
    V2 ends up with 3 free and 1 used;

Is this correct...?
    Pretty much, but the V1 will STILL have the used license on it after the COPY. The used licenses are only copied, not transferred. So you can still tune with the used license with the V1 to that PCM and also tune with the used license with the V2 .

Quote Originally Posted by kbracing96
    Pretty much, but the V1 will STILL have the used license on it after the COPY. The used licenses are only copied, not transferred. So you can still tune with the used license with the V1 to that PCM and also tune with the used license with the V2 .
    That's helpful thanks. But can the person who buys the V1 from you then buy some new licences for that V1 to tune new cars?

John

That's helpful thanks. But can the person who buys the V1 from you then buy some new licences for that V1 to tune new cars?

John
    John,

No.

My understanding is that once you've copied/moved licenses from the V1 to the V2,
    the V1 will not be able to have licenses added to it.

The reason is because in this case the V2 is an upgrade (at an upgrade price).

Cheers,
    Joe

John
    Not if its been used to upgrade to a V2. Once that SN has been up-graded, you can no longer add new licences to it.

KB, I beat you to it (probably by seconds....)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast