Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here anywhere near Florida? Could use some help..

Default Anybody here anywhere near Florida? Could use some help..

I thought I was doin everything right and starting to make progress, but I got home from work tonight and started the car and started the scan tool with the desired airflow map to try and get my idle better and let it sit for quite a few minutes tryin to let it warm up and couldn't get past 80 degrees Celcius column and it started at 20 degrees celcius column, so I shut her off, put the numbers in the desired airflow table and then everything after 80 degrees celcius I matched to the 80 degree table, well, I flashed it in and started her up and the idle was hangin high, and would hang high everytime I reved it and then slowly come down, but this wasn't the main problem, I went to take it for a ride and it started popping really bad out the exhaust, I was like wtf!!! So I flashed the last tune in that worked and same shit, so I just pulled all the plugs and every single plug was fouled really badly!!! So I dunno what i'm doing wrong here, but something is up!!! If anyone on here that knows what they are doin with tuning these cars is anywhere near Florida and could help me learn how to tune my car, I would really appreciate it!!! I learn a lot better with hands on teaching than reading and I don't know where the hell i'm goin wrong and would like to finally get my car tuned in correctly instead of just gettin by! I wanna pull the most out of my car that I can! I will definately travel a bit if ur willin to help me, thanks guys!!!
    - Devon

White '99 Z28

9.09 @ 150

Sorry I'm in Texas and also new to tuning, can't help. Only advice I can offer is what I have learned recently:

1. Make one change at a time and make it a small change. Example if is calls for a 20% adjustment, go 5-10% and relog it. I've come to realize many of these things are related and have unanticipated results if you're a newbie like us.
    2. If you're not sure, ask these guys first the turn around on this board is fantastic and these guys really seem to know their $HIT!
    3. Be patient and take your time, see #1 & 2 above

Good luck and hang in there, thats one FAST street car you have already.
    2005 CTS-V w/tuner wannabe driver

I changed my desired airflow, cracker etc & then noticed an increase in fuel usage. I think that whenever you modify any of the airflow tables you will need to redo the autove process.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7ute
    I changed my desired airflow, cracker etc & then noticed an increase in fuel usage. I think that whenever you modify any of the airflow tables you will need to redo the autove process.
    The thing is, it fouled them while sittin there idling logging before making the changes. I went to try and take a drive and couldn't cuz it was poppin really bad, and that's when I found the fouled plugs.
    - Devon

White '99 Z28

9.09 @ 150

Quote Originally Posted by NewV
    Sorry I'm in Texas and also new to tuning, can't help. Only advice I can offer is what I have learned recently:

1. Make one change at a time and make it a small change. Example if is calls for a 20% adjustment, go 5-10% and relog it. I've come to realize many of these things are related and have unanticipated results if you're a newbie like us.
    2. If you're not sure, ask these guys first the turn around on this board is fantastic and these guys really seem to know their $HIT!
    3. Be patient and take your time, see #1 & 2 above

Good luck and hang in there, thats one FAST street car you have already.
    Thanks dude, that's what i've been doing, and these guys are awesome, as well as Chad, all very helpful!
    - Devon

White '99 Z28

9.09 @ 150

Have you tried reading out the tune and comparing it to what you think is in there? The only reason I ask, In the past I have had more than one instance of the tune tool open (viewing mine and other tunes), made some changes to my tune, but by the time I got to flashing, got my tune windows mixed up and flashed the wrong tune back in. It's crazy when skip shift comes on for a wild bucking cam

can you post a copy of your tune or email a copy my way?

The other thing you could do is post up the mods you have and see if anyone has a tune that you could use as a starting point...at least for things like the spark, MAF and VE tables.

One thing to consider with desired idle air is idle learning. 1) Turn off idle learning by putting the turn on value to max (~234). Disconnect the battery or pull the pcm bat fuse to clear out the learned idle values. Just like before you start VE tuning you turn off and clear the fuel trims-only with fuel trims you can clear them with the scan tool.

Wanna take a trip up to Jax sometime? We are planning on having a cruise on the 28th for GMs.

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness
    Have you tried reading out the tune and comparing it to what you think is in there? The only reason I ask, In the past I have had more than one instance of the tune tool open (viewing mine and other tunes), made some changes to my tune, but by the time I got to flashing, got my tune windows mixed up and flashed the wrong tune back in. It's crazy when skip shift comes on for a wild bucking cam

can you post a copy of your tune or email a copy my way?
    As soon as I get on the laptop with a network i'll send a copy, i'll send you the tune that I had while it was idling and fouled the plugs to take a look at, and I haven't tried reading it out and comparing. What's ur email addy?
    - Devon

White '99 Z28

9.09 @ 150

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
    The other thing you could do is post up the mods you have and see if anyone has a tune that you could use as a starting point...at least for things like the spark, MAF and VE tables.
    I don't think i've ever seen anyone with the same setup as me, it's a 374 cube ls1 (3.905 bore, 3.900 stroke), fms hydraulic roller nitrous cam 246/257 .632/.645 112+4, ported fast 90 with nw 90 tb, svo 30 lb injectors, jet hot 1-3/4 lt headers, extensions right off the collectors with a bullet muffler and then dumped, and that's the main stuff power wise other than the nitrous, but i'm tryin to get it tuned in on motor first before I spray.
    - Devon

White '99 Z28

9.09 @ 150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast