Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista

Default Windows Vista

Before I waste any time, can anyone tell me if EFI Live will work with Windows Vista? Will the drivers work? I'm sure the software is fine if the drivers load up OK.

There is a thread on this in the lounge. I haven't followed it, but I don't think it's a straight forward install yet.

Worked absolutely fine on Vista 32bit. 64 bit has driver issues and is not recommended. The full Aero Glass interface is pretty heave so you'll need a pretty significant system.

I used it on a Core Duo 2Ghz with 2Gb RAM and some things were slower (significantly) than under XP. IMO all incurred by the more visual experience of Vista.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Lifetime Member

Even if Vista doesn't supply increased performance over XP Microsoft has locked us into spending more money with them eventually. We will have to upgrade and MS will take its time. We are forced to.

I mean with the little amount of time left in XP's product support lifespan it won't be too much longer before they refuse to keep coming up with patches/updates for XP! Every 6 years they stop supports a product, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_z28_six_speed
    Even if Vista doesn't supply increased performance over XP Microsoft has locked us into spending more money with them eventually. We will have to upgrade and MS will take its time. We are forced to.

I mean with the little amount of time left in XP's product support lifespan it won't be too much longer before they refuse to keep coming up with patches/updates for XP! Every 6 years they stop supports a product, right?

I am still happily and securely using Windows 98SE... FYI.

Sort of like driving a NOS 1957 Chevy, with the parking lamp mod, halogen headlamps, a stealth dual master cylinder, and repro seatbelts. Not a 2000 Camaro, but better than when new - and still gets the job done!
    Early EFILive V5 user - Upgraded from AutoTap for DOS!
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, A4 - For occasional day trips...
    1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - For the family...
    1989 Honda VTR250 - For me and me only...

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay

Sort of like driving a NOS 1957 Chevy, with the parking lamp mod, halogen headlamps, a stealth dual master cylinder, and repro seatbelts. Not a 2000 Camaro, but better than when new - and still gets the job done!
    Not many features, but simple and easy to troubleshoot and repair.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay

Right. That was what my tuning laptop was. I just didn't want to plug it into the internet though. No support for the lastest security threats! Too bad the architechure of the PC had the first 64 mb of ram soldered on the board and it went bad.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_z28_six_speed
    Right. That was what my tuning laptop was. I just didn't want to plug it into the internet though. No support for the lastest security threats! Too bad the architechure of the PC had the first 64 mb of ram soldered on the board and it went bad.
    You "be" talkin' to Mister Paranoid - From Computer Forensics to the latest malware, if it's a threat, I know about it and am protected, or have a workaround...

Most 'issues' are related to IE, Office, sloppy practices, and wanton sensual flings across the WWW and Internet.

Trust me, Win98 is MORE secure than XP - and NO ONE knows what holes Vista has!

FWIW see this NIST pub on XP.(!)
    http://csrc.nist.gov/itsec/guidance_WinXP.html
    Early EFILive V5 user - Upgraded from AutoTap for DOS!
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, A4 - For occasional day trips...
    1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - For the family...
    1989 Honda VTR250 - For me and me only...

Lifetime Member

Thanks for the info. I really don't doubt it.

I bet alot of my troubles are WHERE I use my computer too.

I have plugged in a laptop on a public connection running Linux where I had a couple of services running that I shouldn't have it and it was unbootable in less than 15 minutes. I talked to the network admin and traced it back to Aussie land. Wasn't worth any further investigation but we knew who did it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast