Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFILive Custom Operating Systems

Default EFILive Custom Operating Systems

Just a couple of quick questions about the upcoming EFILive Custom Operating Systems:

1) If you take your car to a professional tuner that for some reason still uses LS1Edit, will they be able to make modifications to calibrations in the Custom OS's?
    2) Is the additional functionality (i.e.Valet Mode etc.) completely new, or is it functionality that exists in the standard OS that has not been utilised previously?
    3) Are there any support implications with running an EFILive Custom OS? I'm not fussed about warranty cause I don't have one anymore... Are PCM OS's like computer OS's, do they, or can they have 'bugs'?

Also, I am really interested in the Valet Mode. Finally you can be assured that the Valet at the airport is not going to have too much fun with your baby!

Cheers.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Default Re: EFILive Custom Operating Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne
    3) Are there any support implications with running an EFILive Custom OS? I'm not fussed about warranty cause I don't have one anymore... Are PCM OS's like computer OS's, do they, or can they have 'bugs'?
    Do you mean support from your GM-H dealer? Or do you mean support from EFILive?

I'll leave the first two questions for Ross to answer.

The PCM Operating System is not a "traditional operating system" such as Windows or Linix. It is a dedicated, real-time software application that is tightly integrated with the hardware of the PCM.
    But it is still just software and 99% of software* has bugs in it, including the software in your PCM. GM recall and update PCMs regularly.

* Yes, even EFILive has bugs - can you imagine that

The difference between a PCM bug and a PC bug is that in the event of a major software malfunction the PCM will automatically reboot, a PC will either hang or blue screen or lock up. The PCM wil never hang due to a software bug. There are hardware timers (called watchdogs) that "watch" the PCM and reboot it if it is not performing it's tasks on time.

Regards
    Paul

I guess it would be support from EFILive, I imagine GM won't have a bar of it. If my car ever has to go back to a Holden dealer it will definitely have the PCM locked!

If the EFILive OS's were to have bugs, what effects could this cause? To resolve bugs I guess you would release a new version (as has GM), we would upgrade and perhaps use the new scripting feature to migrate all our calibrations?

I really like the features that you guys are putting into your product, and you respond/resolve issues incredibly quickly and proactively. I guess I am just trying to determine the risks (what damage could potentially be done) of running a custom OS?

Cheers.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

If the EFILive OS's were to have bugs, what effects could this cause? To resolve bugs I guess you would release a new version (as has GM), we would upgrade and perhaps use the new scripting feature to migrate all our calibrations?
    If there was a bug it would almost certainly mean the "feature" we had implemented (i.e valet mode) would simply not work, or it would work incorrectly. It is unlikely that other PCM functionality would be affected.

If there was a bug then we would release a new OS. And would be able to just copy your existing calibration to the new OS.

Paul

Just a couple of quick questions about the upcoming EFILive Custom Operating Systems:

1) If you take your car to a professional tuner that for some reason still uses LS1Edit, will they be able to make modifications to calibrations in the Custom OS's?
    Nope, LS1Edit will not know what the O.S is because we change the number. This is not really done to stop anyone but a Flashscan user modifiying things, but the reason we did that is we are adding in new data to the calibrations section as well as the O.S, we don't know what other tuning packages might do with data they find that isn't supposed to be there.

2) Is the additional functionality (i.e.Valet Mode etc.) completely new, or is it functionality that exists in the standard OS that has not been utilised previously?
    Valet mode is not hidden in the GM code, we have written the routine ourselves and patched it into the GM O.S.
    You know GM did this back with the ZR1 ECM!!.

A major bug in the PCM would basically be a disaster, however, as Paul said, GM had a big one (the column lock issue).

Also, I am really interested in the Valet Mode. Finally you can be assured that the Valet at the airport is not going to have too much fun with your baby!

Cheers.
    Yeah, the best part....it is activated by a hidden switch, you don't need to flash the PCM everytime you want it enabled.

My neighbours must think my car is crap, when I was testing it I had valet set to 40KMH (that is user adjustable), so here's my car missing and spluttering up the street...little do they know :lol:

Cheers,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    Nope, LS1Edit will not know what the O.S is because we change the number. This is not really done to stop anyone but a FlashScan user modifying things, but the reason we did that is we are adding in new data to the calibrations section as well as the O.S, we don't know what other tuning packages might do with data they find that isn't supposed to be there.
    I figured that would be the case. Will just have to convince my tuner (assuming I still need help, with all the helpful folk on these forums) to buy FlashScan!!! In fact, I think they were a beta tester anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    Valet mode is not hidden in the GM code, we have written the routine ourselves and patched it into the GM O.S.
    You know GM did this back with the ZR1 ECM!!.

Yeah, the best part....it is activated by a hidden switch, you don't need to flash the PCM every time you want it enabled.

My neighbours must think my car is crap, when I was testing it I had valet set to 40KMH (that is user adjustable), so here's my car missing and spluttering up the street...little do they know :lol:
    Will the switch be easy to wire in, for someone that knows what they doing that is? I was actually going to have a seriously disabled tune that I would upload (seeing as it only takes 30 seconds), this is a really cool feature/idea.

Thanks Paul & Ross for your responses, all you guys rock!!

Will the switch be easy to wire in, for someone that knows what they doing that is? I was actually going to have a seriously disabled tune that I would upload (seeing as it only takes 30 seconds), this is a really cool feature/idea.

Thanks Paul & Ross for your responses, all you guys rock!!
    Actually the hard part is getting the wire into the interior (at least on a Commodore it was a skin peeling experience).
    You could leave it in the engine bay but then you would need to lift the hood everytime you wanted it on or off.

For the Aussies on the forum I can supply some pins, I have a draw full of them.
    I am pretty sure for the US folks someone like Jesse (wait4me) probably has the odd one lying around as well.

Cheers,
    Ross

I guess it would be support from EFILive, I imagine GM won't have a bar of it. If my car ever has to go back to a Holden dealer it will definitely have the PCM locked!
    Don't take it back with Valet mode on, they'll replace the PCM :lol: :lol:

Thanks Ross.

Was that the interior or exterior skin? I guess if it was in the engine bay it would not be that bigger deal, I mean I will probably only use it once a month or so.

One thing I forgot to ask... I now am the proud owner of the Commercial version. You can probably see where this is going... Do you have an idea when the custom OS's will be available. I am itching to get the MAF out of the car and start some serious tuning, but most of the good stuff is in the EFILive OS's buy the sounds of things.

Seeing as you are in Aussie, and therefore more than likely have a Holden/HSV (not a GTS like Paul is it), if you were going to upload an OS from a different vehicle, which would you choose? I haven't done head/cam yet so the GTS is probably a bad choice!!

Also, outside of altering the VE, Air and Spark tables/parameters (and the transmissions stuff for autos), how much do you professional tuners change other things (i.e. DFCO)? I notice that there is quite a bit difference in loads of the calibrations between my Holden VXII SS and a HSV Y Series Clubsport for example. How desirable is it to perhaps 'copy' some of these values from another vehicle?

Well that turned it to quite a long post, sorry!!

Cheers.

Ross,

(...I too am a proud new owner of Commercial version... )

So will locking the PCM prevent the GM dealer from altering the flash contents...?

Cheers,
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast