Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with tuning stock truck

Lifetime Member

Default Help with tuning stock truck

Right now ive got a stock 2000extcab 5.3

I dont notice a diffrence in tuning since I had it stock.
    The good news is I have barely any KR running 93, besides small spikes that go away like .5 deegrees.
    I dont have a wideband but I dont see a real need in it unless or untill I start to mod it heavily. Ill probably just do exhast mabey headers for now.

Do I need to tune my VE tables even if I have a stock truck or is it better to leave them alone?

One thing is is that I can get a good shift at WOT. It is pretty good except it seems to long and not firm and crisp.
    I kind of want it to break traction on the 1-2nd.

Anyway im going to put my log up and ill get a scan too.

I might put my stock tune back on to see if I can really tell a diffrence.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

Welcome to the forum, glad to see you joined from FSC.

I think a lot of people will agree that a wideband is one of the greatest tuning peripherals that you can affordably get your hands on.

As for your shifting question, take a look at tables {D0701} and {D1108}.

D0701 defines the base pressures and D1108 defines your desired shift times. As the PCM measures the amount of time it takes to complete a shift at various delivered torque levels, it will adjust the line pressure up or down in order to get as close to your desired shift time as possible.

We have a valuable transmission tuning resource on this forum, going by the name of "joecar". I'm sure once he spots this post he'll jump on and welcome you himself.

Lifetime Member

I dont want to make my pressures too high becuase I had them at about 23% over stock at the highest level. I saw on the tutorial that you shoulnt go over about 10-25% over stock.

As for mixture and timing, What would someone set the WOT AFR mixture if they where tuning a stock truck running 93? I have left mine a little more lean than stock.

I had the same problem tuning my 4L60e on my 95 truck.
    It would not give a good firm shift at WOT too. Over about 70% throttle it would always shift the same.

Does this mean I need a servo or shift kit?
    Thanks for the replies

Lifetime Member

Wait should I put all my shift times around .3 seconds?
    The stock graph looks like normal then it gets high as more torque is delievered.
    Why would this be like this stock?
    Wouldnt this cause a lot of ware and heat making a shift this long, especially at wot?

Hi cmitchell,

Welcome to the forum...

LOL... Justin is just overating me, he knows as much as I do and more...

As Justin said, look at D0701 and D1108. There are instances where parts of the pressure curves are too low, so it would be ok to increase by more than 25%... e.g. at the low end usually.

I took the liberty of editing your tune file, see attachment...
    Open this tune file, and open the original tune file as the alternate, and compare the two (see attached images on how to do this);

Important: test drive those changes and edit to suit.

Also (see further attachment) your WOT upshift speeds are below your WOT downshift speeds... this would prevent any WOT upshifts; I don't know what WOT MPH you want, so I left those parameters alone.

Edit: in your first post you said you're getting WOT upshifts, so maybe just leave these alone (unless you want to figure out "why...?").

WOT upshift: occurs if reached/exceeded both WOT upshift MPH and WOT upshift RPM.
    WOT downshift: occurs if below WOT downshift MPH.

Edit: i.e. the WOT downshift MPH being higher would keep you "downshifted" at the MPH specified by the WOT upshift MPH.

So when you set your WOT upshift MPH higher (use the 100% value in D0701-D0703 as a guide), make sure the WOT downshift MPH is about 5-10 MPH below this, and make sure your WOT upshifts are occuring (they should be close to the WOT upshift MPH and WOT upshift RPM specified, but may vary from those values); if they are not occuring, reduce the WOT upshift MPH and/or WOT upshift RPM until they do... but if you reduce the MPH, see the red text.

Cheers
    Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compare.png 
Views:	424 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	1274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cal-Alt.png 
Views:	415 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	1275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WOT.png 
Views:	394 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	1276  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by joecar; January 27th, 2007 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added further comments on WOT

Cmithchell,

If you find the upshifts are now too firm, then increase the curves in the torque reduction tables D0801-D0803.

Joe

Thinking more about your tune (...after eating lunch... )... note that if the Throttle Kickdown tables are at anything other than 100% all across, then these will interfere with the Part Throttle Upshift tables and the WOT MPH parameters (... it might explain why you're seeing WOT upshifts in spite of the WOT upshift/downshift parameters conflicting).

Lifetime Member

Wow thanks so much,
    Im reading this from another computer but im about to go get to work changing it on my labtop.

One question though, what is the diffrence between an upshift at WOT and a throttle kickdown?

And how do you guys read your saved data on efi live?
    There is the stock setup that is good and I use the B dashpage, but there is only so much on there. And it seems like you can't change what shows on the B chart page, you can only put new gauges in?

Anyway I would have never even remotely known what was going on without yall helping me. Thanks again

Lifetime Member

I am getting upshifts if that is what you mean by your question. It will downshift all the way untill it gets about 36 37mph or something. But it always will shift into 2nd at about 5800rpm. Although the downshifts seem kind of weak.

Thanks again for helping me

Lifetime Member

Alright I adjusted everthing and im ready to go log and test it out. I will post up the results once im done.

Thanks again

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast