Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: any 5.3 tunes?

Default any 5.3 tunes?

i just aquired a 04 gmc yukon with a 5.3 k/n and cat back
    anyone have any tunes i could try-im new to the gasser portion of the forum-have been playing with diesels for quite some time now
    basically just looking for and starter tune to point me in the right direction
    thanks to all

Lifetime Member

Well, rather than just give away a tune, I can help you get started.

First thing I'd do is look at the PE enabler settings and PE Modifier values. By default, there is a 1-2 second delay before PE will kick in, and then when it does it goes as rich as 11.3:1 at one point. Once it kicks in, the fuel mixture spark correction table will come into play and throw in a few more degrees of timing, depending on the fuel mixture at the time.
    Take a look at the Torque Limiting section as well as the torque reduction section of the transmission calibration.

Without making any changes at all to the spark tables, you should be able to wake that thing up a bit.

Pleanty! (if you want stock)

thanks
    i guess ill just mess around a lot-are there any certain tables i should leave alone?

Lifetime Member

Im trying to tune my 5.3 in my stock truck.

I seriously have not noticed any diffrence besides mabey a little more low end.

I think the PE delay mode is what makes these things feel slow.

When you tune your transmission I want to see if you can get a good hard fast shift at WOT. Im trying to now with my truck but I still get a weak and sometimes decent shift at WOT.

You can give it a little more time to shift at WOT to, so when you go into second it wont be stuck at such a low rpm. And you can set you WOT 2-1 dowshift speed up more.

well i just got done with a tune-im gonna give it a try tomorrow and see what breaks

Lifetime Member

I have not noticed anything from timing.

Mabey a little more part thottle power.

I though there would be a diffrence between 16 degrees of base WOT timing stock and 22-27 degrees WOT timing.

Its probably all just in my head.

If GM thinks that these engines can run at 14.7 for 2 seconds untill a certain rpm at WOT, isnt that going to get hot? Is that why it goes extreamely rich after? How does this not hurt it, does lean fuel mixtures only hurt at higher rpms?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17
    I have not noticed anything from timing.

Mabey a little more part thottle power.

I though there would be a diffrence between 16 degrees of base WOT timing stock and 22-27 degrees WOT timing.

Its probably all just in my head.

If GM thinks that these engines can run at 14.7 for 2 seconds untill a certain rpm at WOT, isnt that going to get hot? Is that why it goes extreamely rich after? How does this not hurt it, does lean fuel mixtures only hurt at higher rpms?
    As Howard from Redline Motorsports so eloquently put it. The power is in the timing!!! You really should notice a decent bit more power out of that engine with a more optimal timing level. I take it from your statement that you haven't adjusted the PE mode enablers and delay parameters yet.

just what do you adjust with the p/e tables and why?

Lifetime Member

Well, you'll want to remove the delays in the tune (B3608, B3609, B3610).
    By default, PE isn't enabled until you're above 90% throttle. I'd lower that quite a bit to get into PE a bit sooner.
    B3618 is usually a bit rich from the factor for a naturally aspirated vehicle. You'll want to target something in the 12.5 - 13:1 range rather than the default 11.x:1 at WOT.
    When PE activates, it not only will richen the mixture up to the values in B3618, but it will also increase timing as specified in table B5908.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast