Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time n00b Calc.VET... check my data?

Default First time n00b Calc.VET... check my data?

Hi all, been lurking for a while, just installed a cam so its time for me to get to work with this. Thanks to joecar on my LS1tech thread, I was able to get started with the Calc.VET tuning. Car specs:

98 Trans Am, stock PCM
    LQ4 6.0, stock heads/compression
    LS6 intake, ported TB, stock 28lb injectors
    GM ASA cam 226/236, .525 .525 110 LSA
    T56 Trans, 3.73 12 bolt
    Long tubes/no cats
    Analog Wideband (Autometer, yeah I know, but it matches my other gauges and Im anal like that lol)

Ive been messing with this for 3 days now and haven't made much progress. I started off with the ASA base tune on tunefiledepot but its not very close. Ive followed the Calc.VET tutorial and Notes as closely as I could with the limited knowledge I have on the subject. I disabled what needed to be, did a log session for as long as I reasonably could trying to hit as many cells as I could. I was able to correct (or so I think) the maf table from the data, but the VE data still looks way off when pasting it into my tune. I tried smoothing it as best I could, but the car would barely run with that so I obviously did something wrong.

The cam idles pretty high and doesn't pull much vacuum (is there ANY way to get it to pull a bit more vacuum at idle?), so getting those lower cells isn't really working out too well. Im posting up my Calc.pids and a log file from this afternoon, if anyone could take a look at it and give me some pointers, it would be MUCH appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RobNJTA; June 22nd, 2014 at 07:30 AM.

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum

Post screenshots of your VE map and your MAF map.

These are the maps I get from your log file (using your calc_pids.txt):

VE calculation [g*K/kPa] (paste this into B0101):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Log_0001.efi-VE.png 
Views:	252 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	17057

VE looks pretty good.

MAF correction [unitless] (multiply this into B5001):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Log_0001.efi-MAF.png 
Views:	244 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	17058

MAF looks like a large correction down low, smaller correction further up.

PE is not enabling adequately (should show up on GM.EQIRATIO whenever throttle is significantly open).

( BTW: you're only using 14 pid channels (out of 24 recommended max)... you could log a few more things like KR, SPARKADV and maybe GM.IBPW1/2)

Post your tune file.

Your cam is 226/236 110 +0 (zero advance)...?

Thanks Joe, I'll post up everything as soon as I get home from work. The maf table I was able to copy/multiply and that seemed to go ok. It was the ve table that didnt at all match up with what is in my current tune.

So it's ok to use all 24 channels? Didn't want to bog anything down so I went with bare minimum.

Wideband wise, I think it's pretty close... as far as what efi live is reporting afr is pretty much dead on to what the gauge is reporting as well, so I think I at least got that going right.

Yes, 0 advance in the cam, installed dot to dot.

Ok, here is the base tune Ive been using. Its not a stock tune, its mainly the tables from the Corvette ASA tune found on tunefiledepot added to my original modified stock tune. As you can see, when you paste the corrected VE table into the one on my current tune, its not even close. Maybe Im doing something wrong? Also, it runs really rough when first started and seems to have a noticeable miss, but when warmed up it idles lopey but reasonably nice and smooth.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Anyone?

Lifetime Member

Your PE table {B3618} is set to lean out at higher RPMs... that's not a safe tune. I would suggest you set the AFR to somewhere in the low 12's for those higher RPM.

Ok, I didn't even realize that, thank you. The stock one commands .80, the ASA one commands .91. I think Id like to shoot for around .85 I have a feeling I should have just built off of the stock tune I was using, as I really don't know what was done on this ASA tune I used.

Could I use the logged data I have for the MAF and VE tables and add them into the stock tune, or do I need to load the stock tune and re-log everything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast