Thread: Getting error when flashing

Default Getting error when flashing

When I flash a PCM I get an error saying the scan tool is connected and I need to disconnect the scan tool. The scan tool isn't connected though. I then just click to flash again and it will flash the PCM, I can hardly ever flash a PCM without getting that error first. Any ideas??

Hi Lorenz,

Which V7 build version...?
    Which PCM/vehicle/year...?

Build 139

I was tuning F-bodies all weekend when it was doing it. They were all 99-2001 camaro's. I just flashed a bunch of 896 and 411 PCM's on my bench harness and never had a single problem. I didn't have the scan tool open though either.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Try changing the option in the Scan Tool that determines which type of interface cable EFILive will attempt to access.

To do that, make sure the Tuning Tool software is not running, then run the Scan Tool and select Edit->Properties.
    Select the [Connection] tab page.
    Select the "EFILive FlashScan V2.5 (HAPI)" option from the drop down list.
    If you don't have any other type of interface cable, then uncheck the "Scan all cable types" check box.
    Click [Ok], then close the Scan Tool to save the changes.
    Then restart the Tuning Tool to pick up the new changes.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thanks Paul I will try the new settings since I had something differnt.

Tuned 2002 camaro, with the new settings it was worse. I went back to my old settings just to get through the tune. I watched what it does...when it messes up it says something about disconnect scan tool, then if you watch what the tune tool is doing it it says no autocal or v2 found. Once I click on the error it will work the 2nd time 99% of the time. I think it may be a problem with my V2 and not the software. Sorry I dont remember exactly what the screen was saying.

No doubt you know already that only one EFILive application can be using the FlashScan V2 device at any one time. So if you do have the Scan Tool open when attempting a flash operation you do need to "disconnect" from the vehicle. Similarly if you have any of the V8 software open HAPI will connect to the device, so you will need to exit those application also.

Do you have any other intermittent or regular issues with the device while reading, flashing or data logging?
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

I only have the scan tool open and the tune tool open. It seems to always happen after I stop logging and disconnect the scan tool then try to flash the pcm. The only other thing I have noticed is it takes the scan tool alot longer to connect to a car then it used to. I also had the tune tool pop up a message about the pcm being in unknown state a few times while tuning this last car. I had to unplug the V2 from the car and my laptop before I could get it to flash the pcm again. That happened 3-4 times in 2-3 hours.

When the next release comes out I'd recommend updating to that (as is the normal recommendation). There has been a heck of a lot of work and validation in the most recent pre-releases that I think will benefit you and the issues you're experiencing. If it doesn't help then we'll have to consider something else, or get trace files etc.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew