Thread: Tuning with AutoVE on a 1998...

Default Tuning with AutoVE on a 1998...

OK, I am getting ready to start the AutoVE process on my '98 WS6.

From what I have read on here in the search, I see the one important thing I have to do for '98 OS is to paste the BEN numbers to both Main and BAck-Up VE's, correct?

Now this is the question that is really confusing me.

The instructions for AutoVE states to make a BEN Map "B" for 1999/2000 years (assume 1998 is the same).
    When I paste and multiply with labels, do I use the "B" Map for both MainVE and BackUp VE? There is no "A" map to use for '98 OS models, correct?

Please help me out here before I go ahead and start this tune.

Many TIA's!

Gil

Gil - Per the AutoVE tutorial, you will create MAP "A" to resemble your primary VE table, and MAP "B" to resemble your back up VE table. You will apply the data in MAP "A" to the primary and "B" to the back up.

Thanks so much for the clarification!

I should have seen that since I noticed both tables differ in appearance.

So does this mean I will have to log each map individually, meaning two different drives? Or can I run both maps at the same time?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Gil

Good question.

In short - One drive will do ya'.

The way it works, you are actually logging data for the PID's. The Scan Tool allows you many options to configure how you view the PID data. So in this case, as described in the AutoVe tutorial, you will configure multiple MAP's and assign them to the "A", "B", etc... positions.

While you're logging you can toggle between the MAPs to see how they are filling out. Like wise, you switch between the tabs, data, chart, map, for different presentations of your PID data.

The EFILive Scan Tool is by far the most powerful scan tool on the market.

The problem I see with this manner of doing things though is the PCM is running off of the backup VE in SD, right? So, if it's interpolating, it's doing so from the 50kPa column to the 60kPA column in the backup VE table. The 55kPa column (as seen in the primary VE) is assumed to be a certain value based on what's around it in the backup and no attention is paid to the 55kPa value in the primary VE. So, I say just log the backup and get that as close as possible. Then, copy/paste the *0kPa columns over to the primary VE when finished and hand smooth out the *5kPa columns. Once the MAF is re-enabled and tuned, it won't make that much of a difference. But, it'll save you the extra time/hassle of correcting 2 tables after each log.

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
    The problem I see with this manner of doing things though is the PCM is running off of the backup VE in SD, right? So, if it's interpolating, it's doing so from the 50kPa column to the 60kPA column in the backup VE table. The 55kPa column (as seen in the primary VE) is assumed to be a certain value based on what's around it in the backup and no attention is paid to the 55kPa value in the primary VE. So, I say just log the backup and get that as close as possible. Then, copy/paste the *0kPa columns over to the primary VE when finished and hand smooth out the *5kPa columns. Once the MAF is re-enabled and tuned, it won't make that much of a difference.
    While I don't disagree with tuning only the back up VE, I believe either method of tuning the primary VE would suffice once the MAF is re-enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
    But, it'll save you the extra time/hassle of correcting 2 tables after each log.

Thanks again for the explanation and different approaches to tuning teh VE tables.

I'll try both of them out as sooon as I get the opportunity this weekend.

Thanks again!

Gil