Thread: Traction Control Function For 1000 Hp????

Lifetime Member

Default Traction Control Function For 1000 Hp????

I am hoping to get some helpful info on traction control from anyone in the know. I have NEVER messed with it and have it deactivated. I run the custom O.S. and use a cable operated throttle body, I run a 1000 hp twin turbo Chevelle with a 6 speed.

1.) How the the traction control know what gear your in with a 6 speed? Does it calculate this based off the VSS using speed and rpm??

2.) I only need traction control in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear, any pointers on calulating the correct max torque for this to work properly, just to get me in the balpark and help understand how it works?

3.) Without ETC, the only way to reduce power is to retard the timing, Does anyone see a problem with retarding 50 degrees of timing under 19 psi of boost?

4th option is that I forget this hairbrained idea all together and start limiting the boost instead, just gets REAL complicated with all the bracketry and micro switches to contol the bosot controller with a 6 speed.

Thought and info are appreciated.
    '71 chevelle
    Twin turbo ls1
    1000 HP 93 octane street car!
    96 lb injectors

Hi,

I don´t think that the stock traction control is fast or aggressive enough to handle your performance. Wether the timing can be retarded enough nor the ETC is closed and opened fast enough under boost conditions.
    The only unit that works great is a Traction Control module from Racelogic.
    I have this installed on a batchfired supercharged C4 or on a 880 Nm Biturbo LT5 Corvette with stock PCM (sequential) that is running on 80lb injectors. On a supercharged C5 A4 (710 Nm) it works superior so that you can corner on a preset drift angle. This unit is free programmable and can be fitted to all your needs.
    http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Traction_Control
    It works extremly fast with cylinder cut off and different cut off pattern.
    In case that in the first 3 gears is way to much torque, you should limit the boost with an Apexi boost contoller where you can set different boost levels per gear. Please ask if any questions.
    Or do a websearch for the fast supras or vipers - they also use racelogic

Kind regards

Marco

Lifetime Member

yup, another vote for racelogic, i'm thinking of selling mine if you're interested.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorocket
    3.) Without ETC, the only way to reduce power is to retard the timing, Does anyone see a problem with retarding 50 degrees of timing under 19 psi of boost?

4th option is that I forget this hairbrained idea all together and start limiting the boost instead, just gets REAL complicated with all the bracketry and micro switches to contol the bosot controller with a 6 speed.

Thought and info are appreciated.
    Ouch option 3 could result in a nasty backfire , all the big HP stuff we have used racelogic ( which still has problems on a boosted car dropping cylinders ) or used boost control to control engine output.

Right foot is also pretty effective to use as traction control

Quote Originally Posted by Delco

Right foot is also pretty effective to use as traction control
    +1

As a side note, has anyone ever hacked the Bosch controller on the VY and older Monaros and 2004 GTOs?
    World's First Twin Screw Pontiac GTO
    2004 GTO. Blown H/C 408, stage 3 keyboard, billet tires
    2017 Chevy SS with dead hooker is spacious trunk
    2014 Chevy Cruze. MPG queen with my balls in spacious glove compartment.

www.aussiemotive.com

Quote Originally Posted by redhardsupra
    yup, another vote for racelogic, i'm thinking of selling mine if you're interested.
    I would be interested - what price you´re asking for?

kind regards

Marco

Lifetime Member

At this point, the safest and most logic way os to reset up my boost controller to the 6 speed setup to control boost per gear. I made it work with the auto easy, but the 6 speed will require a much more elaborate microswitch setup.

Even If I can turn the power down to only 550 hp in 1st, that would help alot!!

It is way to hard to use the foot for traction control, the boost comes on so fast and hard, by the time you get out of it, the wheels are spinning.
    '71 chevelle
    Twin turbo ls1
    1000 HP 93 octane street car!
    96 lb injectors