Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS1 PCM's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default LS1 PCM's

For those that are interested, here's a quick comparison of the various LSx PCM's.

97/98 PCM
    These run a Motorola 68332 Micro and also have some Delphi custom support I.C's. Interestingly they use some I.C's that were used in the old 16bit PCM's (P4, P66 etc). So this is like a hybrid between the old 16bit PCM and the current LS1 PCM's.
    Flash capacity is 4Mbit (512K) but is arranged very differently to the current LS1 PCM's.
    VIEW OF 1997/98 PCM CASE

VIEW OF 1997/98 PCM PCB #1

VIEW OF 1997/98 PCM PCB #2

1999+ PCM
    The update to the 97/98's. Again running a 32bit Motorola Micro but this one is a custom version of the 683xx series designed for/by Delphi.
    All the supprt I.C's are also custom Delphi units, from what I've found they have dedicated I.C's to monitor knock, control spark, monitor I/O pins, O2 sensor processing, and another for Injection.
    Flash capacity is 4Mbit (512K).
    PCM HDW numbers are either 16220610 (1999-2000) or 09386530 (2001+).
    VIEW OF 1999+ PCM CASE

VIEW OF 1999+ PCM PCB

2003+ PCM
    Seems to have yet another updated Microprocessor and a few other parts are added but is very similar to the 1999+ PCM.
    Flash capacity is 8Mbit (1Mb).
    From the outside it looks the same as the 1999+ PCM except instead of a Red connector it is Green.
    PCM HDW numbers could be one of the following -
    12570558, 12580786, 12583659, 12583660, 12589161 or 12589162.
    Some of these PCM's are not interchangable between vehicle applications.
    VIEW OF 2003+ PCM PCB

2005 LS2 ECM
    Now, arrives the LS2 ECM, known as the E40.
    Another upgraded CPU, but this controller no longer does the transmission control, so it is a true 'ECM'.
    VIEW OF LS2 ECM

VIEW INSIDE THE LS2 ECM

do you have the pin outs for the pcms as well by any chance

cheers geoff

Quote Originally Posted by ntae
    do you have the pin outs for the pcms as well by any chance

cheers geoff
    I'll Email you directly on this Geoff.

GMPX,

Thanks for this "revealing" information! It's pretty cool stuff to me, but then I work in electronics too.

Are the large devices on the 2003 + PCM's (4 each on the outboard edges) the injector drivers or are the the primary voltage controllers that go to the eight coil packs (I would guess the latter)?

Which version did you cook at the barbeque you guys had a few months back?
    :lol:

I'm glad that you've been cookin' on Version 7 and FlashScan! Make mine medium please.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bryant

Are the large devices on the 2003 + PCM's (4 each on the outboard edges) the injector drivers or are the the primary voltage controllers that go to the eight coil packs (I would guess the latter)?
    Actually they are just transistor arrays used for things like the IAC motor, Trans Solenoids, Lamp outputs etc.
    The Injector drivers are SMD devices mounted near the main connector.
    The spark outputs come directly out of one of the I.C's!!. But remember they are low voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
    Which version did you cook at the barbeque you guys had a few months back?)
    That was from a 3800-V6, that reminds me, I must go and remove it before the next leg of pork goes in :lol:

Ross are the 05 CPU on LS1 the same as 03 and 04? can we do a full reflash?

They are basically the same, however, there is a few variants out there that seem to be model specific (CTS-V), I really don't know 100% if you can just swap one into another if the HDW numbers do not match.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    They are basically the same, however, there is a few variants out there that seem to be model specific (CTS-V), I really don't know 100% if you can just swap one into another if the HDW numbers do not match.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Also why did they update it from 512 to 1mb? Add more room for different things not necessary engine controls?

Are most the engine control in the same spots of the bin or are they a whole different monster when you dissassmble one? 8)

Quote Originally Posted by 87gmc
    Quote Originally Posted by GMPX

Cheers,
    Ross
    Also why did they update it from 512 to 1mb? Add more room for different things not necessary engine controls?

Are most the engine control in the same spots of the bin or are they a whole different monster when you dissassmble one? 8)
    03+ added alot more diagnostics, plus the flex fuel thing. Having said that, only 60% or so of the 1Mb flash is used, I guess they just couldn't quite squeeze in into 512K.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Ok so really its the same computer with just some add ons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast