Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speedo Calculator issues...Help Please

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Hi Kenny,

I received your email, thanks.

My mistake, the image I posted was from a 2000 LS1, but I had upgraded the PCM to a 2002 operating system. So the limit you see in the image is from a later OS.

The "physical" PCM limit for the 2000 LS1 is 0 to 131,070 however, we have found that setting the speedo values to their absolute min (0) or max (131,070) values can cause the speedo calculations in the PCM to get a "divide by zero" error. To prevent that, we artificially limit the speedo settings in EFILive to 100..90% of maximum.

In the 2000 LS1 operating system 90% of 131,070 is 117,963. Unfortunately, it looks like that is not high enough to allow certain combinations of tires/diffs. In the next release, I will set the limits to 100..98% which will give the 2000 LS1 a range of: 100..128,448

Unfortunately there is no simple workaround for this problem right now.
    The only option would be to upgrade the PCM's operating system to 2001/2002. But that is not trivial and the calibrations cannot be easily copied to the new OS.

An updated version of the software will be available in a day or two.
    Please subscribe to this thread to receive notification when it is available.
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4442

Regards
    Paul Blackmore
    EFILive Limited
    Before asking for help, please read this.

The wheels and tires are stock size on this car. So changing the gear ratio from 3.23 to 3.73 is that radical of a change to walk it out of it's limits? Bummer.

I will let my client know it will be a few days before we get things correct. He absolutely loves the way his car is now compared to his PCMforless tune was...but the speedo issue is a thorn in his side which I can fully agree with. The .tun file I sent you if for your eyes only and not to be published please.

I TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP PAUL!!

I am eagerly awaiting the update.

Thank you for your help,
    -Kenny
    Last edited by KAZ MotorSports; May 7th, 2007 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KAZ MotorSports
    The wheels and tires are stock size on this car. So changing the gear ratio from 3.23 to 3.73 is that radical of a change to walk it out of it's limits? Bummer.
    No, it's not a radical change. The PCM can support your setup no problem - just as soon as I raise the upper limit.

We can cause our test PCMs to lock up if/when H0101 is set too high (or too low). The exact number varies between different PCMs, so we took a conservative approach and set the maximum for ALL PCMs to 90% of the actual maximum limit. Unfortunately the conservative approach was too conservative.

We figured it was better to have a PCM with a speedo that is (temporarily) wrong, than to have a dead PCM.

Regards
    Paul

Paul,

Chad and I saw this problem this weekend. We got around it but its in Chad's head!

Howard

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

:lol: I will get it all in an email and send it to Paul tomorrow.

No worries Paul. I hope you did not take my statement as a jab at the software. I absolutely enjoy the software and feel you guys have outdone yourselves in how effective the software is for tuning...especially compared to other software packages I have test driven.

Thanks again to you Howard for spending time with me on the phone today trying to get this straightened up. I look forward to meeting you in June for the EFI-Live class!

Thank you Paul! It worked perfectly.

-Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by KAZ MotorSports
    No worries Paul. I hope you did not take my statement as a jab at the software.
    No offense taken We need (and actively encourage) people to report any and all problems. That's how 90% of them get fixed.

Regards
    Paul

How exactly does this work I have the stock tire size and speedo settings. I entered the tire size anyway to see if it changed and the diameter/cir/revs did but when I hit apply it changed H0104 from 805.1953 to 2687.8238??? Also H0101 from 47020 to 45693 that part seems normal tho. Should I just leave the stock setting alone or whats going on.
    Using v7.4
    2001 SS Camaro M6

I presume you have a manual gearbox.
    As the description for H0104 says:
    For manual vehicles, it is not used and is often set incorrectly.
    For automatic vehicles, it is used by the PCM to determine the transmission shift speeds.

805 is wrong, 2687 is correct. However, it doesn't matter if you have a manual trans, that value is ignored.

I should add another piece of text:
    For manual vehicles, it is not used and is often set incorrectly (by the factory).
    For automatic vehicles, it is used by the PCM to determine the transmission shift speeds.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Spdfrk1990
    How exactly does this work I have the stock tire size and speedo settings. I entered the tire size anyway to see if it changed and the diameter/cir/revs did but when I hit apply it changed H0104 from 805.1953 to 2687.8238??? Also H0101 from 47020 to 45693 that part seems normal tho. Should I just leave the stock setting alone or whats going on.
    Using v7.4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast