Thread: Support for 2005 Bonneville GXP Northstar??

Default Support for 2005 Bonneville GXP Northstar??

Just curious to know if there is support for tuning on a 2005 Bonneville GXP Northstar?

Thanks all!

-Kenny

Page 3 of this thread suggests Blacky & GMPX "don't understand" the Siemens-Infineon CPU on Northstar engines: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=2058&page=3

What a drag.

But it looks like they may have been playing with them a bit already, so it's hard to tell whether they are really giving up or not.

Any chance of you guys developing this in the future, or have you guys really written the late model N* engines off completely?

I caught this detail about the N* CPU at http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1569/article.html:

The ECM is a 16-bit, 24 MHz microprocessor, high memory control unit designed to integrate the engine's infinitely variable valve timing (VVT) for both intake and exhaust valve trains, Electronic Throttle Control (ETC), and closed coupled catalysts for meeting emission requirements without secondary emission control systems.

The controller is also designed for a GM LAN communication protocol speed of 500 kbit/second and has a 185-pin connection system for enhanced input/output capability. (Currently, 120-pin systems are more the norm.) GM's LAN communication protocol is an adaptation of the industry-wide CAN-Bus (control area network).

Other ECM functions include:

- Individual cylinder knock control and fuel control - it controls fuel mixture richness/leanness at each cylinder to keep it at the optimal stoichiometric ratio, rather than averaging all 8 cylinders or by cylinder bank, the typical approaches.

- Full Onboard Diagnostic (OBD) II capability without a secondary air pump (the Northstar 4.6-litre engine does not need a secondary pump for emission control).

- Linear lambda control, wide ranging air/fuel sensing for more precise control to meet emission requirements - typically an analog oxygen sensor is used, which is slower and less exacting.

- Engine protection functions - including "camel mode," which allows the engine to continue running for another 50 miles before shutting down should it lose all coolant by only operating four cylinders at a time so it runs cooler. The ECM will also shut down the ignition system if the car doesn't start within 14 seconds, assuming a possible major mechanical problem.

- Engine off natural vacuum (EONV) diagnostics for evaporative emission leak detection.

- Comprehensive exhaust gas temperature model - exhaust gas temperature is used as a basis for adjusting fuel control: as the temperature increases the fuel control is adjusted accordingly to protect the converter from melting.

The ECM was co-developed by Siemens VDO Automotive and GM Powertrain.

Default 2005 Bonneville GXP Northstar

I too own and am looking to tune a 2005 Northstar Bonneville. I sure hope that someone comes up with software for my EFILive system. I can't imagine driving a car I haven't tuned! If anyone needs a PCM to play with from this car please let me know.

Cal Editor aka A.J.
    Lead Calibrator at PCM Calibrators
    ASE Master Certified since 1988 -- ASE L1, F1 & A9
    GM Technician since 1999 -- GM World Class Technician since 2009
    CNG Installer -- CSA Inspector
    A handful of people out there who do have an intimate knowledge of GM Calibrations