Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this thread???

Default Thoughts on this thread???

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726607

This isn't the first time I've heard what this guy is saying. However, I keep hearing it with a lack of explanation. I hear the "I've been in the source code of the PCM" and the "that's not how it was designed to work" statements. But, I don't hear anything more than that because explanation would expose 'trade secrets.' Are we full of $h!t with the VE/MAF manipulation process we go through or is he with his manipulation of the commanded fuel in open loop while leaving MAF/VE stock?

Jeff, you may have answered you question in post #19...

I don't know...

I personally like my actual AFR to match my commanded AFR...

Sure, maybe GM didn't intend for the PCM to run MAF-less, but it seems to run ok (there may be a few side effect tho, for example trans torque calc may be off, and other things)...

Source code does not necessarily reveal the original intent...

It's funny to think that the original intent was to run with mismatched AFR's... and consider that GM cams are not big enough to cause problems of false wideband readings.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar
    ...Source code does not necessarily reveal the original intent...
    Source code may even obscure the original intent (even to the original author)...

Question: for what reason would someone want to tune by "indirect" methods...?

Very interesting reading. I figure as long as the car starts, idles, cruises and does everything else well. Then it's pretty good, at least for me.

I like the fact that you don't really discount anything he says but you do ask for proof. You are obviously a student who wants to learn more. I think that's better than saying you helped invent the thing and you can't tell anyone how it works. If the information is there then why not share it?

I don't see anyones "secret" formula working noticably better than what the normal person who knows what the heck is doing.

"that's not how it was designed to work"

Now that statement pretty much sums up the fine art of building a hot rod.
    I'm old and Retired! I used to go fast. I don't go so fast anymore ...but, my cars still do!

I wonder if he is a member of teamZR1?
    IMO there is many tables that need to work together to get the fuelling right for all conditions. To fudge one or two & then call it a tune is just ripping off yourself & the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7ute
    I wonder if he is a member of teamZR1?
    I was wondering the same thing, he doesn't sound contemptuous enough for teamZR1 though.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7ute
    IMO there is many tables that need to work together to get the fuelling right for all conditions. To fudge one or two & then call it a tune is just ripping off yourself & the customer.
    agreed.
    I'm old and Retired! I used to go fast. I don't go so fast anymore ...but, my cars still do!

I just thought it was 'funny' because I've heard the same arguements from someone else....almost word for word.

Jeff, you posted good responses in a scientific manner... ...and he fails to respond to you in a like manner...

lol, it does sound familiar, but without contempt...

Having "privy-ness" to source code... that's like name dropping...

Experiments:
    - If you alter the VE (g*K/kPa) table, what changes do you see in actual AFR, and why...?
    - How can we "sanity check" our wideband...?

I'm still awaiting a reply............................................. ................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast