Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you gauge your timing?

Default How do you optimize your timing?

I have my tune pretty much down but I'm always curious if I can tweek the timing so as to get better mileage and drivability. Do you guys have any methods or secrets to help optimize timing (besides WOT on the dyno) so you know it's the best it can be? Basically, how do you adjust timing for cruise/mid range power if you don't mind sharing.
    Last edited by johnsZ06; June 10th, 2007 at 12:35 AM.

JimmyBlue on ls1tech posted a response: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729403

Determining best timing without a dyno is like a black art...
    advancing till onset of ping and backing off may or may not be good, but is the easist running on the street without a dyno.
    Last edited by joecar; June 10th, 2007 at 09:11 AM.

That was me that asked the question on LS1tech.

I had a couple of ideas in mind as well, such as monotoring the calculated power Pid for a specific RPM vs. VSS or monitoring injector pulse width for given loads, etc.

I was just curious if anyone did something different and what seemed to work the best. Granted, the ideal way would be to drive on a load bearing dyno but how many people have access to one of those.

Thanks for your reply!

Lifetime Member

Is there any benifit to adding timing at part throttle for a stock motor? Seems like you could get a little more power and torque with more timing at low/mid grams/cyl areas.

I also heard that for WOT timing you should take out 3-4 degrees of timing at your peak torque. But on GMs timing table timing is always increased at peak torque?

Running timing to hit KR is the only way to find the threshold of too much timing. It is not recommended that setting timing to the edge of KR is the bottom line either. You can make X amount of power with 24 degrees of timing, add 2 degrees and make the same power. My recommendation would be to stay at 24 degrees. With a load controled dyno which can report real time torque changes you can really find the point of peak cylinder pressure which is where timing is optimized. This of course would need to be done in a realtime control.

As far as down low; most setups can tolerate a healthy increase in timing in the lower cyl/air points. There is less load and the timing can really help accelerate the motor. You do need to be careful going to far as once you are past peak cylinder pressure, the additional timing advance will actually raise cylinder temperatures which will promote detonation.

Timing is where most of the power comes from in a tune.

Howard

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
    Running timing to hit KR is the only way to find the threshold of too much timing. It is not recommended that setting timing to the edge of KR is the bottom line either. You can make X amount of power with 24 degrees of timing, add 2 degrees and make the same power. My recommendation would be to stay at 24 degrees. With a load controled dyno which can report real time torque changes you can really find the point of peak cylinder pressure which is where timing is optimized. This of course would need to be done in a realtime control.

As far as down low; most setups can tolerate a healthy increase in timing in the lower cyl/air points. There is less load and the timing can really help accelerate the motor. You do need to be careful going to far as once you are past peak cylinder pressure, the additional timing advance will actually raise cylinder temperatures which will promote detonation.

Timing is where most of the power comes from in a tune.

Howard
    Nice explanation Howard. That's one reason I wish I had a Road Runner so I could change timing on the fly.

On my own tune I've tweaked the timing table every which way looking for optimum results but as you know, without a way to measure and quantify the results it more or less an exercise in futility! And what's even more daunting is the fact that just about every LS version of a timing table seems to be way different than the next, almost as though the deisgn enginners couldn't make up their minds on which way to go. I know that's not the case though.

The bright side of all this is, it gives me something to do when I get bored!

Using detcans or reading NOx on a 5 gas analyzer will allow you to detect the early onset of detonation before the knock sensors read it, or possible engine damage occurs with F/I motors.
    World's First Twin Screw Pontiac GTO
    2004 GTO. Blown H/C 408, stage 3 keyboard, billet tires
    2017 Chevy SS with dead hooker is spacious trunk
    2014 Chevy Cruze. MPG queen with my balls in spacious glove compartment.

www.aussiemotive.com

Lifetime Member

Im going to try this by using the a KR histogram. I have already switched my 2000 truck to a 2005 timing table which looked a little better. (The 5.3hp went from 285 in 2004 to 295 in 2005 I think)

Would the optimal timing table be close to follow? It seems like it has pretty normal timing but once it gets to the high g/cyl like .50+ the timing really climbs like 30+.

Is there any way in efilive to take the optimal timing table which only has about half the cells of rpms and g/cyl in it and move it to the high octane timing table? would there just be a way to paste it and it only paste the cells that where in the optimal timing table? Then you could just smooth the table out to where you would get a blend of mostly the optimal timing?

One other factor to consider is the proper blending and "ramp rate" of timing. I have seen many tables where guys take a huge section of the table and flat line the values. There is something to be said about the enertia that a motor produces and timing has a big effect on this. Making sure the table looks smooth is beneficial to smooth acceleration.

Also remember how much time you actually spend in each cell. By looking at cell counts, especially at WOT, its not long. I wouldn't micro manage this too much. It's all about the sweeping motion!

Howard

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Lifetime Member

So this can actually be done? I have heard a lot of people say that they have had good luck using the optimal timing table, but it also creates knock. It dosent matter what octane I run to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast