Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 97 C5 Rev Limiter ?

Default 97 C5 Rev Limiter ?

I bought this car new 10 years ago and have had a lot of different set ups over the years. The one problem I have never been able to fix is, I can't run above 6200 rpm. It does a full fuel shut off, not the studder that most get when they hit their Rev Limiter. Once in a while it will go a little higher, but for the most of the time 6200 seems to be the magic number. This will happen when it upshifts or even in the burn out box locked in 1st or 2nd gear.
    Last fall I went back to a milder set up. I'm running a LS7 Stock Engine with 2inch Headers and 3.15 gears. It ran 10.71 @ 125 mph in cooler weather, but I have to keep the rpm below 6200. (Thank God for Lots of Torque ).
    I have LS1 Edit, but my racing buddy has EFI Live. We have tried the usual things, but this has been a pain for me over the years. I know I could change to a newer PCM, but this car runs GREAT in every way except for this 1 problem.
    I would like to fiqure this out before I die or sell the car, which ever comes first. Thanks for any help.
    Tom Hall
    Cincinnati Ohio.

What is your injector duty cycle at?

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
    What is your injector duty cycle at?
    80%. This is a stock LS7 that came complete with 40 lb injectors. I thought it was my fuel pump when it started droping pressure, but I changed the fairly new Ractronix pump and now my pressure is good. It stays at 60 psi right thru the 1/4 mile. I have a boost a pump but don't really need it since I changed the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Kool C5
    I bought this car new 10 years ago and have had a lot of different set ups over the years. The one problem I have never been able to fix is, I can't run above 6200 rpm. It does a full fuel shut off, not the studder that most get when they hit their Rev Limiter.
    That seems strange, My 97 C5 hits the rev limiter just like any other LS car, kills spark i believe, you sure its not something other then the rev limiter causing your problem?

Edit: For reference, i am refering to my car when it had the 97 PCM
    WWW.EFIAlchemy.com

Quote Originally Posted by eurospec1
    That seems strange, My 97 C5 hits the rev limiter just like any other LS car, kills spark i believe, you sure its not something other then the rev limiter causing your problem?
    Edit: For reference, i am refering to my car when it had the 97 PCM
    Do you have an auto trans?
    It might be in the Torque Management. I have everything off(I think). In my version of Edit their is no way to set Tourque in gear for 97.
    I will ask my freind to see if this is implemented in EFI LIVE.
    All I really know that when we log runs at the track the injectors shut off and the throttle body closes. When the rpm drops it starts running again.
    Nothing in the logs show anything wrong leading up to the shut off.
    Shift points on my car only can be set with mph. The rpm setting will not change shift points. Is this normal for 97s?
    What we would do is start our shift points low and increase them a little at a time and when we get above 6200 rpm sometimes it would work and we think we have it fixed. then on then next run it will shut down. Sometimes it will happen on the 1-2 shift, sometimes it will be the 2-3 shift and it even happens going thru the traps in 3rd. I mentioned in the burn out also if I let the rpm go to high.
    Sorry for the long post, but this has had me baffled for a long time.
    Thanks for the reply.

Default rev limiter

I have an M6, but i dont think that affects the rev limiter, im sorry i cant help you fix your problem but i really dont think thats the rev limiter you are hitting, all my 97 does is kill spark.
    WWW.EFIAlchemy.com

I know this is an old post,But I was searching for something else and saw this.I also have a 97 PCM and had the same problem,Car totally shutting down for a second or two on the upshifts.I've been to the track once so far after messing with B3301 the car did not shut off on me like it was doing to you too,But I have another problem anyway,But you might want to try this,I set {B3301} ENGINE OVERSPEED TIME ALLOWED to .300 ...........Paul

I am having the same problem, and my eyes hurt from endless searching, I will try b3301 and see if that helps me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Did not work, any other ideas would be appreciated.

I tried this also and didn't work. Thanks for taking time to post.
    I have been calling this a rev limiter problem, but have found out it to be a PCM power shut off on the upshifts. It resets after about 1 to 2 seconds.
    If I keep the upshifts in the low 6K range it runs fine. When I try to increase shift points to say 6400 to 6600 it shuts off.
    I think I will try a new PCM and see what happens.
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast