Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: low speed surge with TPS at 0.4%

I guess I see why he's not tuning it himself. :lol: G/L Mike!

Lifetime Member

"If you want to try and tackle timing, make sure you're logging the correct grams/cylinder pid so you can see where you need to make your changes to the base timing table. Once you apply 1.19% throttle, it should switch over to the main spark table assuming his car is setup like the M6 cars I've seen."

The 3 pids:
    dyncylair gms/cyl
    cylair_DMA gms/cyl
    dyncylair_DMA (speed density) gms/cyl

I checked my logs and I didn't have the pid dynclair_DMA ticked, and I guess this is the most important one.....
    To clarify could you please explain why there are 3 pids for load and WHAT are the differences between them.

Also do I need to change the link function to the spark maps so the "right" load pid is referenced

Cheers,
    Mike
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

cylair_dma is used when the MAF is active

dyncylair_dma is used when in speed density

They give the grams/cyl values the PCM is using for it's calculations.

DMA=Direct Memory Access. So, they're values that are pulled right from the PCM's RAM instead of being looked up in some table in the flash memory.

I don't really use the first one. From what I understand, it's supposed to display the right grams/cylinder regardless of MAF/SD mode. I'd rather use the DMA pids.

Lifetime Member

finally got it sussed guys I improved it on my last go back in July and it was passable but I'm a fussy shit and the customer let me have another crack at it this arvo when the car was free.
    Basically the spark timing oscillating between 35 deg and 14 deg or so seems to be caused at low rpm only with the lopeyness of the cam. My guess is the crank triggers is picking up the accel and decel on the 24 teeth with the lopey idle/light throttle and causing unusual calculations in the timing by the ECU. Thats the only thing I can put it down to cos the moment you just slight touch the throttle and the engine smooths out the spark oscillations stop immediately and runs a constant figure.....
    Thats my theory anyway.
    The low speed idle/light throttle around town turned out to be not quite enough timing between the base spark and run spark maps between the idle load point 0.16g/cyl and the just loaded riding the clutch load point at 0.2g/cyl and also the throttle cracker settings as well.
    Its a complicated relationship between all three and required some careful data logging with the right PIDS to see the problem.
    The car can now tick along in 2nd or 3rd gear at 1000rpm with no throttle application with the throttle cracker supplying just enough air to maintain speed and the timing around 28 to 30 degrees with no bucking wot-so-ever. Just like a non cammed car would
    Whew glad I got that off my chest
    For those of you with similar problems with cammed cars there is hope just keep plugging away it can be done.

Time for a beer

Mike
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12