Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I modify Active Fuel Mgt. with EFI Live?

Default Can I modify Active Fuel Mgt. with EFI Live?

I have a 2007 Suburban. I also have EFI Live with the V2 programmer and all the latest updates. Am I able to modify the Active Fuel Mgt. portion of my program? It's very difficult for the motor to stay in 4 cylinder mod unless I'm coasting or going downhill. Can I make it stay in 4 cylinder mode longer with EFI Live?

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 heads/cam/boost coming
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    Vararam, EFI Live tuned, Cruising in 4 cylinder mode, hauling on 8.
    2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE Mods list, Idle Sound Clip, WOT video, 183.092mph video
    2008 GMC Yukon Denali XL 6.2L K&N FIPK, variable valve timing tuned to the max w/EFI Live.

Lifetime Member

I dont know, you probably can but is it really worth it? The guys I know with the 5.3L V8 in their TrailBlazer/Envoys have tuners completely disable DOD/AFM because it surges horribly once you tune them (ie take a perfect regular 5.3L tune and it surges horribly on a DOD/AFM one). You are only going to loose a little mileage, and if you do your tune right you will still be getting better mileage than before.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I agree with you about a good tune improving mileage. I had a very good tune in my 2002 Suburban that improved fuel economy. But, if a regular 5.3L tune surges horribly in a newer 5.3L AFM application, shouldn't that tune be modified somewhat?

Back to the original question: Does EFI Live have a provision to regulate how active fuel management/DOD comes on and off?

2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE Mods list, Idle Sound Clip, WOT video, 183.092mph video
    2008 GMC Yukon Denali XL 6.2L K&N FIPK, variable valve timing tuned to the max w/EFI Live.

Why don't you pull the tune out of the truck and see what tables there are for it.
    01 ECSB 1/2 ton 4x4 Forged 5.7 LS1 GMC

Custom KBracing front mounted, BW S480, intercooled turbo

We have had a number of Email requests to do this so I can add them in no problem. Currently we can only disable it totally.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    We have had a number of Email requests to do this so I can add them in no problem. Currently we can only disable it totally.

Cheers,
    Ross
    sweeeeet..... you guys rock!!
    2002 SS, PROCHARGER AND SOME OTHER GOODIES

Thanks Ross,

I don't want to disable mine, I want it to work more often/better. With my new tune, the fuel economy has picked up overall, but I have a feeling that GM was way too conservative when they programmed the 4 cylinder mode. I don't see any reason why I should not be able to cruise on the highway on level ground in 4 cylinder mode. The way it is right now, it only goes in 4 cylinder mode on declines or upon decelleration.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick G
    Thanks Ross,

I don't want to disable mine, I want it to work more often/better. With my new tune, the fuel economy has picked up overall, but I have a feeling that GM was way too conservative when they programmed the 4 cylinder mode. I don't see any reason why I should not be able to cruise on the highway on level ground in 4 cylinder mode. The way it is right now, it only goes in 4 cylinder mode on declines or upon decelleration.
    The calibration in every DOD vehicle I've driven has been much too conservative in my opinion, so you're not alone in your thinking. Another problem I've found with some DOD calibrations is that before reverting to eight cylinder mode, the converter clutch is unlocked. I haven't seen that too much in trucks, but it's very noticable in some cars. In one case, an Impala SS, fuel economy indicated on the instantaneous monitor was actually worse in 4-cylinder mode than with all eight firing, (under the same operating conditions) because the converter was unlocked. I think you're in for a real treat when Ross adds the necessary tables.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Lifetime Member

If you can get tables to modify the DOD/AFM settings then it will most likely be worth it, but since you cant now the DOD settings were stock so they were just disabled.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I've received a beta cal file from Wait4me. It's pretty cool. I've been playing with the settings. They are not very intuitive and have taken lots of trial and error. I think I'm making a difference with the latest settings now.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast