Thread: Boot Loader Error

Default Boot Loader Error

I have a 1998 Z28 and EFILive V 7.32 Build 456.

When I try to connect and download I get an error saying something to the effect 'can't find bootloader' disconnecting.

My tuner tuned my car yesterday and he was able to download sucessfully many times. He did not use my cable - used his own.

I explained to him that I could not download. He response was that I did not have the correct version because when I select the PCM controller mine reads 1998 Lsx V8 PCM. This differs from what he showed me on his laptop. From the the dropdown he had more more selections and one was the same as is in the tutorial. `1997/1998 Gen III. I have only six selections in the dropdown list.

Please need help. Have never been able to use this tool since I purchased it.

Thanks in advance.

DuWayne

Download the latest release and try that... http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx

Is your interface FlashScan V1 or V2?
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Lifetime Member

7.3.2 is your problem I bet, download 7.4.2 and see if it works then.

Andrew, Im assuming he has V1 b/c he posted in the V1 section.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

V1

I installed 7.4. The dropdown displays 97/98 - Gen III now but still get the bootloader error.

20:04:08:625 Bootloader version: 98LS1v1.1R (04BC-9126
    20:04:08:625 Preparing PCM for reading flash
    20:04:08:671 PCM seed is: $415a
    20:04:08:093 Error
    20:04:12:093 Disconnecting
    20:04:12:125 Disconnected
    20:04:30:562 Done

After this the PCM is disabled - car won't start. I have to pull the PCM fuse - reinstall - then it will start.

This is the second cable sent to me since it was suspected the first might be faulty. I was one of the very first to receive a cable for 98's.20:04:08.625: Preparing PCM for reading flash...

Lifetime Member

Interesting, maybe it has something to do with the PCM Seed? Did your tuner lock it? If so get the key and put it in the PCM seed spot when you go to read/flash it.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

My tuner does not lock his tunes. In fact I asked him to upload the tune to a thumbdrive I had brought along and he said no need to do that because he knew that I have EFL Live and I could just download it myself.

I have tried all 4 USB ports and have loaded the latest USB drivers.

BTW I also have LSEdit and use the same laptop and can successfully download and upload LSEdit files to this PCM. I also am able to scan using EFLLive V6.

I don't have access to a stand alone workstation where I can take it my garage and attempt to read a file with it but as I recall when I tried this method the first time with the first cable I was able to successfully read the very first time with the workstation.

Nevertheless Paul did send me a new cable thinking it might be cable related. The reason I have not tried to do anything since I received the second cable is that the car has been down for mechanical repairs.

The tuner was using a Dell laptop and made a read the very first time. I made the mistake of not having him try to read the PCM with my cable. He is in St Louis and I am in Kansas City so not possible to try now. He tuned the car in KC. His response was that I had not selected the correct controller.

A similar thread said to wait for 15 seconds after connecting the cable and also to make sure the VIN was entered. When I selected get PCM information, it read all of that information from the PCM into every field on the form.

My laptop it a normal Satellite Toshiba about 2 years old with all of the latest drivers for XP.

I personnaly believe the issue is that there are certain laptops that just won't connect to the PCM (but only Boot Loader related) with EFLIVE and when someone figures out the issue with specific laptops then the bootloader issue will go away.

Can you connect to the pcm with the scanner?

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

After you get this message, EFILive will save a *.blx file in the folder:
    \My Documents\EFILive\V7\Bug Reports.

The file will be called YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_Upload.blx where YYYYMMDD is the year, month and day and HHMMSS is the time that you attempted to read the PCM.

Please locate that file and email it to me at paul@efilive.com.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
    V1

I installed 7.4. The dropdown displays 97/98 - Gen III now but still get the bootloader error.

20:04:08:625 Bootloader version: 98LS1v1.1R (04BC-9126
    20:04:08:625 Preparing PCM for reading flash
    20:04:08:671 PCM seed is: $415a
    20:04:08:093 Error
    20:04:12:093 Disconnecting
    20:04:12:125 Disconnected
    20:04:30:562 Done

After this the PCM is disabled - car won't start. I have to pull the PCM fuse - reinstall - then it will start.

This is the second cable sent to me since it was suspected the first might be faulty. I was one of the very first to receive a cable for 98's.20:04:08.625: Preparing PCM for reading flash...
    Before asking for help, please read this.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
    I personnaly believe the issue is that there are certain laptops that just won't connect to the PCM (but only Boot Loader related) with EFLIVE and when someone figures out the issue with specific laptops then the bootloader issue will go away.
    That is possible, because uploading a bootloader to the PCM involves sending high speed, block mode data which is very different to all other normal scan tool operations. If you have access to a self powered USB hub you could try using that. Plug the hub into the PC, then plug FlashScan into the hub. Sometimes the data buffering and noise supression in the hub can eliminate problems.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thanks Paul

I'll try that - USB that is self powered.

My car is stored in Wichita, I live in KC so next trip to Wichita will give that a try. And I'll bring along a workstation too and plug it in. I am sure it will work too as it did before.

DuWayne