Thread: LC-1 and Windows Vista cable problem

Default LC-1 and Windows Vista cable problem

I have a lc-1 with V-1 and RR. I have a new laptop with window vista that has no serial in port. I have went to radio shack and bought a serial to usb cable. The laptop could not find the drives for the cable. The cable even came with the driver disk. I also tried the radio shack website with there updated driver info and still no luck. I took my laptop to the guys at radio shack with the cable and they could not get it to work either. They told me it must be a window vista problem because on the cable box it say window 98 to XP if I am correct but nothing about Vista. Is there anything else that I could try or use beside having to load XP on my Laptop. If anyone has bought a serial to usb cable and had luck install it on a window vista laptop please chime in.

did you uninstall the driver then reinstall?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick
    did you uninstall the driver then reinstall?
    Yes many times. We even did it a radio shack.

UPDATE
    Well I have purchased a new serial to usb cable from Staples. I have gotten the exact same problem. So I decide to take my gear to work since alot of co-workers take there laptops to work. My friend to a look at the driver disk a tried to install it on her computer and everthing work just liked it was supposed to. And her laptop has Windows XP. So the problem is Vista. However this cable has drivers for vista on there website so I am going to try it out and see what happens. I will let you all know how everything turns out when I get out of work and try it. My only concern know is will Vista work with my LC-1 wideband senor. Is there any member here that has successfully used LC-1,V-1,RR with windows vista? I am almost tempted to just install XP on my laptop and call it a day. So far Vista is working with my V-1 just fine.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Are you running Vista 64-bit or Vista 32-bit?

Only Vista 32-bit supports XP drivers.
    XP USB drivers will not work with Vista 64-bit.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Well the usb to serial cable from staples has a vista driver download on the cables website and I installed it and everything worked out great. I was a little upset because the cable from radio shack did not have a driver download for vista. But in the end it worked out better for me because the cable from staples was about six dolllars cheaper. I am glad I finally got that issused taken care of. I am not sure how to tell if I have vista 32 bit or 64 bit. I do have vista home premium. Know I just have to see if the LC-1 will work with my laptop. I hope everything is wired correctly because I must have trippled checked everything 100 times.LOL I would like to say thank you to Mr. Prick and Blacky for responding to my issue.