Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SD Step by Step

Rick,

I couldn't agree more - many of us would LOVE to be able to tune this way with confidence in knowing that we are going at it the right way. You are a 'pioneer' of sorts since you've invetsted the time and money, but we forum members would benefit greatly from your generosity here.

Would you mind to share? Thanks!
    Whitney Roberts

Some of us are in the business of tuning to put food on the table. Releasing a step by step how to for tuning would devalue that business knowledge that has taken time and money to acquire.

Most everything I've learned about tuning is available on the various websites. The key is knowing or learning by trying what is crap and what is good information. There is a lot of crap out there.

For SD mode you need to disable the MAF, trims, etc. All of this has been discussed here and various other forums. It's not magic; use common sense judgement on what it takes to prevent closed loop.

My recommendation - sign up for the classes coming soon and learn from one of the best.
    2009 Z06 LS7 / 2008 Sierra Denali AWD L92 6L80E
    Flashing control modules since 2001. 8-)
    Who needs a MAP sensor on a supercharged LS6 anyway.

I understand your position, but in your previous post you mentioned having the information and it sounded like you were going to contribute it to the masses in the thread (take a look at your previous wording back a few messages in this thread). If you have the doc, and mention it to everyone and are willing to share, then that's totally cool. If you have such, mention it, but then do not share after talking about it, then that is not so cool. It's just that from your previous response, I take it several others, including myself, were looking to see something.

I agree with you totally on the classes, and I intend to sign up for one when available. I'm more than happy to pay for anything I should - including your document if you so desired. I'm all about having good, solid info in one place.
    Whitney Roberts

Maybe this will help in getting people started...

Once I got the wideband hooked up, these are the changes I made to go SD.

Quote Originally Posted by PCM History
    Jun 24, 2005 19:04:19

Engine Calibration.Fuel.DFCO
    {B3313} DFCO Temp Enable, changed from "-22.000000" to "250.000000".
    Engine Calibration.Fuel.Mixture
    {B3618} PE Modifier Based on RPM, modified.
    {B3605} EQ Ratio When in Open Loop, modified.
    Engine Calibration.Fuel.Trim
    {B3801} Long Term Fuel Trim Correction, changed from "Enable" to "Disable".
    {B4205} Closed Loop Temp Enable, modified.
    Engine Calibration.Spark.General
    {B5914} Spark Low-Octane Table, modified.
    Engine Calibration.Cat Converter
    {B0701} Catalytic Converter Protection Enable, changed from "Enable" to "Disable".
    Engine Diagnostics
    {C6002} Engine DTC MIL Enablers, modified.
    Engine Diagnostics.MAF
    {C2901} MAF High Frequency Fail 1, changed from "13500.000000" to "0.000000".
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    B3313 (Engine>Fuel>DFCO>Parameters) - I disabled DFCO by changing the enable ECT to 250. As long as my coolant temp doesn't hit 250*, DFCO is off.

B3618 (Engine>Fuel>Mixture>PE Mod...on RPM) - I set the EQ ratio to 1.00 to disable the PE modifier.

B3605 (Engine>Fuel>Mixture>EQ Ratio...Open Loop) - I set the EQ ratio to something safe like 1.17 to command a 12.5 AFR. Remember, commanded_AFR_=_stoich/EQ.

B3801 (Engine>Fuel>Trim>Parameters) - I set LTFT correction to disable to turn off LTFT's.

B4205 (Engine>Fuel>Trim>Closed Loop Temp Enable) - I set all values in here to 250* to command open loop the whole time.

B5914 (Engine>Spark>General>Spark Low-Octane) - I copied the high-octane table to the low octane table to ensure a good spark curve. I didn't modify this table at all, so it was still the factory spark curve.

B0701 (Engine>Cat Converter>Parameters) - I disabled this to prevent extra fuel from being dumped in at higher RPMs typically in 3rd gear. If you leave this enabled, don't be surprised to see an 11.7 AFR being commanded when you go WOT at the top of 3rd gear. I'm assuming disabling this won't cause too many problems as long as you don't go all out like some autocross superstar.

C6002 (Engine Diagnostics>Engine DTC MIL enablers) - P0101, P0102, P0103 were all changed to No MIL to turn off the SES when we disable the MAF.

C2901 (Engine Diagnostics>MAF>Parameters) - I set the MAF High Freq. Fail 1 to 0 to disable the MAF. Don't unplug the MAF. You can still log the signals/output for MAF calibration later.

After flashing that into the computer, what I chose to log was:

Absolute Thottle Position (TP)
    Air Flow Grams/Cyl - SD (DYNCYLAIR_DMA)
    Base Eff. Num. 1 - Tech Edge (BEN_TE1) << LC-1 was altered to match TE output.
    Commanded AFR (AFR)
    Current Gear (GEAR)
    Engine Coolant Temp (ECT)
    Engine RPM (RPM)
    Heated O2 Sensor V B1S1 (HO2S11)
    Heated O2 Sensor V B2S1 (HO2S21)
    High/Low Octane Adaptive Spark (ASPARK) << not needed if you copy high-octane to low-octane.
    Ignition Timing Adv. #1 Cylinder (SPARKADV)
    Injector Base Pulse Width B1 (IBPW1)
    Injector Base Pulse Width B2 (IBPW2)
    Injector Duty Cycle B1 (INJDC1)
    Injector Duty Cycle B2 (INJDC2)
    Intake Air Temp (IAT)
    Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)
    Mass Air Flow Raw Freq. (MAFFREQ)
    Retard Due to Knock (KR)
    Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
    Wide Band AFR 1 - Tech Edge (AFR_TE1) << reprogramed LC-1 to match TE output.

Remember, this log is for things I needed/wanted. Look through the PIDs and see if there is something you would like to log to attack a problem or tweak a table.

In your scanner, you can open your log and map the BEN factor you logged earlier. Pay attention to the cell counts (n) as you only want to use the cells with enough activity. Use the filters to access the data you want to see and filter out the crap you don't. Once you have some good data to work with, switch to the average correction factor (x). These are corrections that you need to make to your VE table. I made them to my Main VE Table (Engine>Fuel>Airflow>Main VE Table) because I have an '02 f-body. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

This will help get you closer to where you need to be. Just keep your eyes open on the forums, make smart decisions, and don't change too many things at once. That should be enough to get people started. Don't forget to restore the stock tables for the changes made in the beginning to get you back to normal, closed-loop operation. Tune your P/E for the AFR you want at given RPM's, verify with a wideband and you're good to go. G/L

**NOTE** THIS IS THE METHOD I CHOSE TO BEGIN TUNING MY CAR. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF ANYTHING IS WRONG IN THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE, PLEASE TELL ME ASAP SO I CAN CORRECT IT (AND SO THAT I DON'T BLOW UP MY CAR TOO). ALSO, I DON'T HAVE A SECONDARY VE TABLE. IF YOU DO, YOUR PCM WILL REVERT TO THAT TABLE IN SPEED DENSITY MODE. ANY CHANGES MADE DURING S.D. TUNING WILL HAVE TO BE MADE TO THAT TABLE, OBSERVED WITH MORE LOGGING, AND THEN COPIED TO THE MAIN VE TABLE ONCE IT IS SET. LASTLY, YOUR MAF MAY BE IN NEED OF RECALIBRATION IF YOU SEE YOUR LTFT'S NOSE-DIVE/TAKE-OFF WHEN YOU RETURN TO NORMAL OPERATION.

Thanks for taking the time to post this info!

Can anyone else here who has done SD tuning verify and/or add to these steps?
    Whitney Roberts

There are a few other posts (search for autotune) which all suggest the same methods.

I have been working through this, following these general instructions, and I am actually really happy with the results!!! Most of my BEN factor cells are sitting between 0.98 and 1.00, just need to get on a dyno to finish off all those hard to hit cells.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

I am planning on trying AutoTune soon. I have a problem though. I live at a high altitude, 7000 feet, so any high vacuum situation is impossible to hit. I've tried driving every way that I can think of and my car just won't hit some cells because of the lack of air density here. Is there any way around this or does it even matter?
    02 C5 Coupe - LS7, TSP 265 LS7 heads, ARH, Z06 cat-back, HREs, 3.73 gears, Wilwood brakes, DeWitts radiator

15 C7 Z5 1 Coupe - stock for now

12 Avalanche - tune, Corsa Touring

Quote Originally Posted by AllCammedUp
    Thanks for taking the time to post this info!

Can anyone else here who has done SD tuning verify and/or add to these steps?
    One thing to note...

I found out today (thanks to the help of some knowledgable folks here ) that the cat overtemp protection will dump in extra fuel in the upper rpms occasionally. If you're tuning for a specific AFR as stated in the write-up, you might want to disable the cat overtemp protection. Just don't go all out at any autocross events until you restore that value.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12