Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E38 locked!!!

Unhappy E38 locked!!!

I have been helping a friend that owns a local shop in CA with a project that has me chasing my tail. It is a 1956 Chevy truck with a 2006 LS2 crate engine, 4L65E, running on an E38 ECM (OS 12614682). When we read the current tune file everything is fine. When you check the PCM security status, it shows to have a "standard key (unlocked)". When I try to flash the PCM, it comes up with a bootloader error and states the PCM is locked and to enter the key. We have just started on the PCM portion of this project after a local shop flashed the PCM with a stock Corvette tune for us (VIN 1G1YY25U765114858) I have spent almost a week on this particular part of the project and I am starting to loose hope. Has anyone had any problems similar to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I tried that yesterday, no luck. I will be back in the shop tomorrow and try again.

How many plugs does the PCM have on it? if it has 2 then it is e38, if 3 then e67 or e40. If it is an 06 i would think it would be an e40. So have him select that pcm type and try again.
    "If you can leave a black mark on the pavement, from the exit of one corner to the braking point of the next one, you have enough horsepower."

It is an E38 (two plugs). My friend who built this car is by far one of the best techs in the field today, bar none. This isn't a complete package, he purchased the motor, trans, ECM, and TCM then he built the wiring harness completely from scratch with factory plugs, wiring colors, the whole bit. Everything works, the car starts, for a very brief time, then it dies and stores a VATS code.

Disable VATS?
    Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; July 5th, 2007 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
    Disable VATS?
    Unfortunately PCM appears locked.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar
    Unfortunately PCM appears locked.
    THe physical wiring can be fooled can't it? You should know the resistance in the key and you simply wire a resistor into the circuit to "fool" the VATS into thinking the correct resistance is in the circuit (at the key) and you bypass it. Or does that not gain you anything?

I assume that the ignition is looking for the proper resistor. Hell, computers are a PITA.

Thinking more... Will it even crank and try to start if the wrong or NO resistance is read by VATS?

Lightbulb

Oh yeah, you're right, there's a write up someplece on how to fool it by adding some wiring...

The BCM not the ECM is in charge of the theft system. With all the extra associated wiring and gizmo's, I would opt in favor of throwing the switch in the PCM for the theft disable. The problem that really needs to be addressed is the "locked" issue. There will be several other concerns with this transplant that will require ECM programming.
    Is it necessary for other modules to be "on line" for writing to take place? What if the ECM is setup for a different vehicle?
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast