Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From GM Powertrain website...

Default From GM Powertrain website...

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...New/07_MYC.doc

2007 Hydra-Matic 6L80 (MYC)

2007 Model Year Summary
    Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic Car & Truck transmission

● New applications: Cadillac XLR, Escalade, Escalade EXT, Escalade ESV, GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Yukon XL Denali
    ● Modular design for application flexibility

Full descriptions of new or changed features

NEW APPLICATIONS: CADILLAC XLR, ESCALADE, EXT, ESV, GMC YUKON DENALI, YUKON XL DENALI
    The Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission is now mated to the new 6.2L V8 engine in the 2007 Model Year Cadillac and GMC full-size SUVs. Each of these new applications is equipped with a transmission-mounted transfer case to direct power to both rear and front axles. The 6L80 is also added to the 4.6L V8 XLR for the 2007 Model Year; previously it was available in only the XLR-V model with a 4.4L V8 supercharged.

MODULAR DESIGN FOR APPLICATION FLEXIBILITY
    Because of the modular design of the Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission, there are three different bell housings and four different extensions that adapt the transmission to the rear-mounted Corvette and XLR applications, and to the front-mounted truck applications that can be configured with rear- and four-wheel-drive. The unique compound gearset in combination with a conventional simple gearset on the output carrier of the transmission allows both the durability necessary for the torque output of the V8 truck engines, as well as a flexible selection of gear ratios with a wide ratio spread.

Overview
    The Hydra-Matic 6L80 is six-speed automatic transmission for rear-drive cars, designed with modular flexibility and compatibility with advanced electronic controls. It was introduced for the 2006 Model Year Cadillac STS-V high-performance rear-drive sedan, and the XLR-V and Chevrolet Corvette two-seat sport coupes and convertibles. The aluminum case for these applications is identical, however, the bell housing for the Corvette and the XLRs is unique because of the rear axle mounting locations.

All applications feature adaptive shift controls. Several additional features such as grade braking, Performance Algorithm Shifting, and Driver Shift Control are available on some of the applications. Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS), which detects when the vehicles are being driven in a spirited fashion and remains in its current gear ratio even when the driver lifts a foot off the accelerator pedal. PAS monitors how assertively the driver is using engine output to determine at what engine speed to upshift or downshift. Driver Shift Control, available in the Corvette, STSs and XLRs allows the driver to shift the transmission like a clutchless manual gearbox. Electronic safeguards prevent over-revving should the wrong gear position be accidentally selected.

A wide overall ratio spread of 6.04:1 allows a “steep” first gear, as well as very “tall” overdrive top gear for low-rpm highway cruising. Acceleration is maximized, as is fuel economy. Engine noise is also lower during cruising. Both fifth and sixth gears are “overdrive” gears, for example.

Gear changes from second to sixth gears are accomplished with clutch-to-clutch control, where an oncoming clutch is engaged and an “offgoing” clutch is released in a precise manner to achieve the ratio change. The first-to-second upshift, however, is a freewheeling action, where the second gear clutch engages while the first gear one-way clutch spins freely. This allows a greater degree of smoothness at lower vehicle speeds. The clutch-to-clutch shifting and single freewheeler allows significant reductions in packaging requirements and, as a result, the new six-speed is nearly identical in size to the four-speed transmission it replaces.

Advances in transmission control modules allow the modules to exist reliably inside the transmission, where temperatures remain fairly constant compared to a body-mounted module. The smaller size of the module means the transmission case can be more compact. The transmission and module are assembled together, so no additional steps are necessary during vehicle assembly.

The 32-bit transmission control module (TCM) monitors transmission performance and compensates for normal wear in components such as clutch plates, so transmission performance remains consistent for the life of the transmission. The control module also “tests” the components of the transmission following assembly to optimize the interaction of the components. The module is compatible with future global applications.

DEXRON® VI premium fluid validated to improve durability and shift stability
    A new transmission fluid, DEXRON® VI, was developed to have a more consistent viscosity profile; a more consistent shift performance in extreme conditions; and less degradation over time. Internal GM tests have demonstrated DEXRON® VI delivers more than twice the durability and stability in friction tests compared to existing fluids. The DEXRON® VI fluid was designed specifically and validated for the new family of GM six-speed automatic transmissions.

While the basic aluminum housing for 6L80 transmissions can remain identical for a wide variety of applications, including front- and rear-mounting, car and truck applications, and rear- or four-wheel-drive applications, the case extensions and bell housings can be modified for nearly any longitudinal drivetrain vehicle. The modular concept of the new Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic centers on the desire for common components and manufacturing tooling for four different size variants of the new 6-speed family. The main case uses three main components, and those components are the same for all variants of the transmission. For the first applications of the new transmission, the 6L80-E contains three gearsets, a conventional input planetary gearset with four pinion gears. There is one compound output gearset and one simple output gearset. The compound output gearset uses three sets of pinion gear pairs, with one set of pinions meshing with the sun gear and the other set with the ring gear. This arrangement allows for optimal ratio steps with a 6.04 overall ratio spread.

There are two torque converter sizes, 258mm and 300mm. The 258mm applications use a twin-plate torque converter lockup clutch, while the 300mm applications use a single-plate torque converter lock-up clutch. Both types of clutches make use of GM’s proprietary electronic controlled capacity clutch (ECCC) technology, which uses a small, regulated amount of slip to dampen out engine pulses. This creates a smoother running drivetrain, especially during shift events.

For the Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT, and Escalade ESV, the 6L80 is mated to the new BorgWarner 4485 transfer case, which was developed with GM Powertrain for uplevel trucks. This transfer case features an open planetary differential. Traction control and wheel slip monitoring are performed by the stability and anti-lock braking systems.

Low maintenance
    For severe use, DEXRON® VI fluid changes are the only maintenance recommended. For normal use there is no fluid change scheduled.

The Hydra-Matic 6L80 is produced in Ypsilanti, Michigan.

Wonder what they're rated to hold?

Maximum engine power: 469 bhp ( 349 kW )
    Maximum engine torque: 439 lb-ft ( 595 Nm )
    Maximum gearbox torque: 664 lb-ft ( 900 Nm )
    2009 Z06 LS7 / 2008 Sierra Denali AWD L92 6L80E
    Flashing control modules since 2001. 8-)
    Who needs a MAP sensor on a supercharged LS6 anyway.

I have been driving one of these on and off for a month. It has a different feel from the 700's to say the least.
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Most traditional automatics operate on the principle that the hydraulic circuit that is applying the servo for the next gear is also releasing the servo for the current gear... i.e. the releasing servo acts as an accumulator ("cushioning device") for the applying servo... the hydraulic circuit ensures the correct release/apply sequencing, and the PCM simply controls the one solenoid to that circuit.

The 6L80E (and the Allison apparently) operates on the principle that the applying servo and the releasing servo are timed by the TCM, so if the TCM mistimes the sequence, then the trans. suffers damage; the TCM controls the release/apply sequencing by controlling 2 or more solenoids at once.

Yeah I think 6L80E tuners are about to dive in to the same world of pain as the Diesel guys have been in when it comes to tranny destruction due to mistimed shifts.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Ross, speaking of tuning, when will the 6L80 tuning be available?
    2014 Silverado 4X4 6.2L
    2010 Camaro 2SS-RS L99
    2007 Sierra Denali 6.2L
    2005 1500HD 4X4 Quadrasteer 6.0L, COS3 SD

Will the 6l90E & the 6l80E share all/some of the same tunning tables?

I haven't got to play with a 6l80e yet, but I've got to say that the grade braking in my GMC 2500 HD will certainly get your attention as well as the Tow, gear range select and manual shift features. I can see it being a real bear to tune...
    I'm old and Retired! I used to go fast. I don't go so fast anymore ...but, my cars still do!

Quote Originally Posted by RonC
    Ross, speaking of tuning, when will the 6L80 tuning be available?
    I should have kept my mouth shut
    Once E67 calibration files are completed to the same level as the latest E38 then the TCM will be done, so lets say between 2 weeks and one month if all goes to plan.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    I should have kept my mouth shut
    Once E67 calibration files are completed to the same level as the latest E38 then the TCM will be done, so lets say between 2 weeks and one month if all goes to plan.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Thanks for the time frame Ross, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
    2014 Silverado 4X4 6.2L
    2010 Camaro 2SS-RS L99
    2007 Sierra Denali 6.2L
    2005 1500HD 4X4 Quadrasteer 6.0L, COS3 SD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast