Thread: EFI Live V2/USB Comunication Problem

Default EFI Live V2/USB Comunication Problem

I can no longer communicate with the V2.

I think I have it narrowed down to a problem between the PC and the V2. I have installed the software on 3 different laptops now and it still will not communicate. When I plug in the USB connection the PC does not see the V2. I can not check the Firmware or load a tune. I get the message stating it is in Demo mode because it can not see the V2 (I am not sure why that keeps happening since I did register the product as the message states). I have also tried a different USB cable and it does the same thing.

The 4th led blinks for a couple of seconds when i plug in the USB Cable. It appears to be flashing a code. It flashes 4 time then pauses then 2 times. it repeats this 2 times then goes out. It appears to be flashing a 42 code of some kind.

Any ideas???

However, if I disconnect the USB Connection and only plug in the OBDII connector the unit powers and functions fine.

Thanks,
    Cary
    Last edited by castewart; July 17th, 2007 at 07:03 AM.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

The blinking orange LED indicates data traffic on the link between the vehicle and FlashScan.
    The blinking green LED indicates data traffic on the link between the PC and FlashScan.
    There is no significance to the number or length of each flash.

I recommend uninstalling the FlashScan USB drivers and re-installing them. You can go to www.ftdichip.com and then to their utilities page and download a program called FTCLean. That will clean the FlashScan USB drivers from your system. I would post a link but their site is down at the moment.

Then I recommend downloading and installing the latest FlashScan drivers from here:
    http://download2.efilive.com/Drivers..._Win-2K-XP.zip

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thanks!!!

That worked Great

Cary
    Cary

FTClean just fixed my issue then too. See using the search button does work.

I am having the same problem, my V2 will not communicate with the computer. It has always worked fine until today and I haven't recently done any updates to software or firmware. The difference for me is that if I only plug it into the truck it doesn't work then either. It won't go beyond showing the EFI Live logo whether I have it plugged into the computer or the vehicle. Any ideas? Is the box dead?

Quote Originally Posted by OTHRGRL View Post
    I am having the same problem, my V2 will not communicate with the computer. It has always worked fine until today and I haven't recently done any updates to software or firmware. The difference for me is that if I only plug it into the truck it doesn't work then either. It won't go beyond showing the EFI Live logo whether I have it plugged into the computer or the vehicle. Any ideas? Is the box dead?
    Try booting FlashScan into deadpoll, by holding the Ctrl key while powering up FlashScan via the USB port. Then use EFILive_Explorer [Firmware] tab page to query the firmware version.

Assuming you are running firmware V2.06.06 or later...

Try this:
    While FlashScan is at the splash screen, press and hold Ctrl and while holding it down, press and release the Cancel key. That will warm-boot FlashScan and possibly get it past the Splash Screen.

If that does not help, it is possible that the settings.dat file onboard FlashScan is corrupt. That can cause the splash screen timeout to become very large. That means the splash screen will continue to show for hours, maybe days until the timeout elapses.

You can try clearing the settings.dat file like this:
    1. Disconnect FlashScan from all power, wait 10 seconds.
    2. Hold down the F1 key while plugging FlashScan into the vehicle.

If that does not work, try holding the F3 key down and perform the same power cycle.

If that does not work, try holding the F1+F3 keys down together and perform the same power cycle.

Regards
    Paul

I don't have EFI Live Explorer - I have EFI Live Firmware Programmer. I did (and still don't) have firmware V2.06.06 or later.

I was using V7.5.5 build 84 with firmware V2.04.70.

I just told EFI Live to update and got V7.5.5 build 86 and firmware V2.04.72. I booted in deadpoll and updated to this firmware via EFI Live Firmware Programmer.

I do not see a way to download EFI Live explorer or newer firmware without downloading V8.1 - which for Duramax guys I thought was not completely ready for release yet.

I tried all 4 of your above suggestions and it will still not get beyond the splash screen. The only thing I can get it to do is boot in deadpoll.

If I try to upload or download a tune or if I go to Help> FlashScan V2 VIN Licensing it says:

EFILive cannot communicate with FlashScan.

Disconnect the Scan Tool if it is connected.
    Check all cables and connections, then try again.

I even tried to open the scan tool and connect to FlashScan/AutoCal only. It brought up a blue screen and rebooted my computer.

Any more suggestions? Is the box just toast?

Based on that description I think that the unit has failed in some way. You should return it to Fish Tuning. Their details on our resellers web page here: http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...d=38&Itemid=94

Once your V2 is operational again, you can and should download EFILive V8 and install it and upgrade the firmware to V2.06.xx (although that will most likely be done while it is being repaired). The latest firmware has a number of bug fixes that benefit all vehicles types included Duramaxes.

EFILive V8 contains the black box logging functionality for FlashScan V2. You'll still need to keep using V7 for the Scan and Tune functions, but eventually Scan and Tune will be available in V8 and then you can uninstall V7.

Regards
    Paul