Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any way to unlock LS2 edit vehicles?

Default Any way to unlock LS2 edit vehicles?

Are they just changing the seed values? If so do you think the seed value is going to be different each time its flashed?

Alvin I don't know. As you know it is possible to enter in your own Key for EFILive to use in these situations but of course knowing the key is the problem.

I've not had an LS2Edit locked ECM to interrogate so I don't know what they are doing.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Heres a question.. Is it impossible to read the file if the seed has been changed?

There are alot of these controllers floating around that are unlockable because no-one can find the orginal tuner. That is a big problem for the E40 which aren't plentiful like the E67

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin
    Heres a question.. Is it impossible to read the file if the seed has been changed?
    Nothing is impossible, it's the level of difficulty!
    Using software to read the ECM is pretty much out of the question.
    Removing the chip is an option but on the E38/E67 this is not financially viable. It's a major job just getting to the flash chip and (from my own experience) accidently lifting the BGA mounted CPU is a real possibility (scrap yard once that happens).

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin
    There are alot of these controllers floating around that are unlockable because no-one can find the orginal tuner. That is a big problem for the E40 which aren't plentiful like the E67
    I can appreciate that, the E40 was a bit of a short run. I was not aware LS2Edit also locked the E40.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    Nothing is impossible, it's the level of difficulty!

I can appreciate that, the E40 was a bit of a short run. I was not aware LS2Edit also locked the E40.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Seems just like 1998 all over again...
    2002 Chevy Truck

K&N Air Intake
    Dynatech Headers
    Noisy Lifters

I've heard of running a full reflash without reading the tune to unlock it. would this work at all or is there any other way of unlocking the pcm's.
    or disconnecting power during the initial flash to screw the computer then full reflash to recover?
    (may be a stupid question but i figured i'de throw it out there anyways.)

Quote Originally Posted by PladdPezzPunk
    I've heard of running a full reflash without reading the tune to unlock it. would this work at all or is there any other way of unlocking the pcm's.
    or disconnecting power during the initial flash to screw the computer then full reflash to recover?
    (may be a stupid question but i figured i'de throw it out there anyways.)
    I highly doubt it as the bootloader wouldnt even let it start, is this correct.

If the controller is locked with an altered seed/key then you can't read OR write. You are stuck.

Cheers,
    Ross

how about deleting or shorting it to damage the data?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PladdPezzPunk
    how about deleting or shorting it to damage the data?
    Nope, you'll just end up with a doorstop.

In order to reprogram the ECM the tuning software MUST send the correct* key to the ECM to allow a bootloader program to be loaded into the ECM's RAM. That bootloader program is then responsible for communicating with the PC tuning software and for erasing and reprogramming the ECM's memory. If the tuning software does not send the correct key, then the ECM will not allow the bootloader to be loaded into RAM.

*The correct key is whatever key was last programmed into the ECM.

Even if you could somehow damage the software/data in the ECM without damaging the hardware, then chances are very high that the PC tuning software will not even get as far as sending the key to unlock the ECM - let alone loading the bootloader into the ECM.

Interesting side note: The early LS1's had a "back door" that allowed the seed/key to be bypassed, but GM "fixed" it in the later LS1 PCMs.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast