Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: taking away some fuel around 3500rpm and up

Default taking away some fuel around 3500rpm and up

Ok, well i just bought efi live and i have had it for around a week and I'm wondering how to simply take away some fuel above 4500rpm.

My air to fuel is 13.3:1 throughout the board till around 44-4500rpm and on up, which it is at 12.1:1 then, rich. I have heard about copying high spark table to low spark table and do this and that and then you are in SD mode...i have printed all that paper out and I will be trying that next.
    01 T/A WS6 #4984 STOCK 342HP and 352TQ [/b]MODS:Too many to list, PM...funny rear mount.. father/son build.
    [Quote :ur car is sneezing!!!!]
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    My STS build: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631954
    453HP 475TQ @6psi
    .....CAM'd, IC'd, and 7psi'd #'s coming.....

I guess the first question to ask is: The AFR's that you are seeing/quoting, are they commanded, or do you have a Wide Band 02 it measure actual AFR's?

Depending on how aggressively you are accelerating (i.e. WOT) the commanded AFR's will be determined from the PE (Power Enrichment) tables.

Some of the stock tunes do actually command AFR's as low as 11.9 (2004 Corvette Z06 for example). So what you are seeing could be expected.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Default Re: taking away some fuel around 4500rpm and up

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
    Ok, well i just bought efi live and i have had it for around a week and I'm wondering how to simply take away some fuel above 4500rpm.

My air to fuel is 13.3:1 throughout the board till around 44-4500rpm and on up, which it is at 12.1:1 then, rich. I have heard about copying high spark table to low spark table and do this and that and then you are in SD mode...i have printed all that paper out and I will be trying that next.
    Yeah, commanded AFR or measured?.
    13.3 is too lean, 12.1 is fine, really!!.
    When it goes really rich it might be cat converter protection kicking in, either raise the temp thresholds or turn it off.

Cheers,
    Ross

Default Re: taking away some fuel around 4500rpm and up

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    Yeah, commanded AFR or measured?.
    13.3 is too lean, 12.1 is fine, really!!.
    When it goes really rich it might be cat converter protection kicking in, either raise the temp thresholds or turn it off.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Just one thing on the subject of Air fuel Ratios, Yes I tune my cars by AFR's, but I also back them up with checking the Lamda results. My best results have been when the Lamda is 0.9 across the board, 0.9 Lamda is where you will achieve the absolute torque that your engine will produce as far as fuel goes. Now that’s easy for me to say as I log Lamda on the dyno. When you compare the Lamda in relation to the AFR's, the AFR's aren't where you thought you should have set them to, they may start at 12.4:1 and raise to around the 13.0:1 through the mid to hi rpm range and then drop to around 12.4:1. "That's not a problem".
    The Lamda results always play a Huge part in the art of tuning for me.
    Having said that, I thought I search for a Pid that would log Lamda. Not that I need a Pid to log Lamda but others may like to try logging it. I couldn’t find any Pid’s. I may not be looking hard enough, if there isn’t a Pid available, could one possibly be added.
    It was just a thought guys.

Cheers Scotty.
    It's a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

Please explain the lambda back-up. As far as I know, lambda is simply another unit of measurement for air/fuel ratio. A lambda of 1 equates to an air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 and lambda values above and below 1 are essentially factors that can be applied to 14.7:1 to convert lambda to actual air/fuel ratio. A lambda of .9 equates to an air/fuel ratio of 13.23:1 (14.7*.9=13.23). So anytime you have a lambda of .9, you should have an AFR of 13.23, and anytime you don't have an AFR of 13.23, you shouldn't have a lambda of .9.

Quote Originally Posted by dfe1
    Please explain the lambda back-up. As far as I know, lambda is simply another unit of measurement for air/fuel ratio. A lambda of 1 equates to an air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 and lambda values above and below 1 are essentially factors that can be applied to 14.7:1 to convert lambda to actual air/fuel ratio. A lambda of .9 equates to an air/fuel ratio of 13.23:1 (14.7*.9=13.23). So anytime you have a lambda of .9, you should have an AFR of 13.23, and anytime you don't have an AFR of 13.23, you shouldn't have a lambda of .9.
    You’ve made a good point. It was more of a reference to lambda than anything without having to do the math.
    Having read what I had wrote, I probably wouldn’t have worded it that way the second time around.
    One of the points that I was trying to make was that the most amount of torque was to be gained at around and no higher than 0.9 lambda which is as you say 13.23:1 I graph lambda on the Dyno and AFR's on the laptop. Going by the math, my calibration is out by 0.4:1.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Cheers Scotty.
    It's a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

No problem, I was just wondering if the math worked the same in Australia as it does in the US. Seriously, each tuner develops his/her own way of doing things and I've found that sometimes it's a matter of personal preference and other times there are advantages to doing things a certain way. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks for the reply. Also, in reference to the original question, I've found that many LS1/LS6 air/fuel calibrations go really ruch around 4500 rpm because of converter overtemp protection. Unless you disable converter over-temp, you'll play hell trying to get air/fuel ratios above 11.9-12.1 range-- both commanded and actual. In fact, if you look at the dyno curves for some vehicles with stock tunes, you can see precisely where over-temp fuel kicks in because the power curve has a negative blip when the extra fuel kicks in.

the air to fuel that we were looking at was measured by a wideband that stuck way up in the tailpipe.

Sorry but i will have to modify this a little..it goes rich above 3500rpm.

The car was placed on a dynojet dyno in Benson at Fastlane Motorsports and Caleb dynoed the car. Of course you set the car at a certain rpm and then hit log and go WOT. In the beginning the car was running at around 13.x : 1 ratio (low 13.x's) then it went up to 13.6 and then 13.1 and then went on down to 12.1:1 above about 3500.

What is LAMBDA?? if you can't tell I'm new to all of this
    about the catalytic converter protection ...is that under cat converter in efi live? under parameters and I need to disable that whole thing right?
    01 T/A WS6 #4984 STOCK 342HP and 352TQ [/b]MODS:Too many to list, PM...funny rear mount.. father/son build.
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    453HP 475TQ @6psi

To disable Cat Converter protection set {B0701} to Disabled.

Also have a look at {B3618}. This table will show you what will be commanded when at WOT vs. RPM.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne
    To disable Cat Converter protection set {B0701} to Disabled.

Also have a look at {B3618}. This table will show you what will be commanded when at WOT vs. RPM.

Good luck.
    the B3618 is what we have changed and know that it affects the AFR, we know about that table...thanks man.

If you disable the cat converter protection, can't you lean out too much or richen the car too much and then cause issues?? that cat protection is there for why?? the temps of the cat protection are on mine at :

Cat converter low protection temp 830 (degrees C)
    medium 840
    high 850
    extreme 920

830 is 1,526 in F..don't you want your Exhaust gas temps to be less than a certain temp..if you disable the cat protect then EGT could vary a lot and risk damage if you change some things too far right??
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    453HP 475TQ @6psi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast