Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto VE questions

Default Auto VE questions

1. How can I tell when the AIR system is on? Was that part of the SD setup in table {B0701} "catalytic converter protection enable?

2. What RPM should I go to when doing the auto ve SD tune?

3. Does copy and paste work for you? I have to manually change the ve table by small amounts, otherwise it’ll over correct. I can't find any leaks that might cause this.

4. RPMs go down when I rev at a stop light – Throttle response isn’t that great at all either. What should I scan to correct this?

5. Could a bad VE table being either too rich or too lean cause KR?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
    1. How can I tell when the AIR system is on? Was that part of the SD setup in table {B0701} "catalytic converter protection enable? No. AIR pump will stay on based on the settings in B0201-0207.

2. What RPM should I go to when doing the auto ve SD tune? 4,000rpm if you plan on re-enabling the MAF. You don't have to try to hit every cell. That's virtually impossible. Focus on the ones you hit or can hit under typical driving scenarios.

3. Does copy and paste work for you? I have to manually change the ve table by small amounts, otherwise it’ll over correct. I can't find any leaks that might cause this. That is a requested feature (coming soon hopefully). Until then, you can use an application like Excel to adjust your corrections. Just takes an equation or two to tweak the BENs.

4. RPMs go down when I rev at a stop light – Throttle response isn’t that great at all either. What should I scan to correct this? Did you try some of the adjustments I made in the idle tuning post in the tutorial section?

5. Could a bad VE table being either too rich or too lean cause KR? High timing or lean AFRs are typical sources for KR. Too much fuel shouldn't cause KR.

Thanks!

Yeah..I tried a few of the suggestions in that thread. I didn't do the one titled: Adjusted Desired Idle Airflow. What did you mean by "Log your STIT's and LTIT's to perform the RAFIG process." Could you elaborate on how to do that? I'm not even sure what STIT, LTIT, and RAFIG is. Short and long term ___?

I haven't done anything below that first picture you posted either. I'll keep on, keepin' on...but I'll probably have a few more questions That was a great writeup by the way. It would have helped a lot to have all the table identifiers though. Thanks again.

STIT's and LTIT's are your short/long term idle trims. RAFIG and RAFPN are calculated pids that log the total correction (STIT+LTIT) made to the Desired Idle Airflow Table. You need to log STIT/LTIT's for in gear a/c off in order for the RAFIG pid to become available....and STIT/LTIT's for park/nuetral for RAFPN to become available (RAFPN for A4 cars only).

Log those parameters from a cold start. Then, you look at the table in the tune to see where all of the coolant temp break points are. Different years or Op. Sys.'s will have different break points. Mine for example are:

68*F
    90*F
    111*F
    133*F
    154*F
    176*F
    198*F

I like to work on one cell at a time (only takes 5 minutes). So for the 176*F cell for example, I go back to my log and filter out any ECT's less than 175*F or ECT's greater than 177*F. Then, I look at the AVERAGE log of the RAFIG pid for 176*F. I then make that correction to the 176*F cell in the desired idle airflow table. Do that for all of the temps in the table you were able to hit. Then, guess-timate for the cells you weren't able to hit. That's the best you'll be able to do for them.

As for the table identifiers, you can search for the table by name if you can't find it. Just use the search box on the top left of the tuning software.
    Last edited by SSpdDmon; August 4th, 2007 at 03:36 PM.

Ok...So I logged RAFIG and made a Map for it.

This is what my Desired Airflow table looks like now:

So for 32 degrees C, I should add .85 to 14.532? What should I be looking for? I saw that Patrick G on ls1 tech said I should be around 7-8 g/sec range when warm. What about on a cold start?

If you look at the log I attached, you can see that it starts out really lean at idle! Why does it start so lean and then work itself out? I hope it's not like that when I switch back to using my MAF.

I also got a little bit of a knock problem. I'm not sure yet if that's my y pipe that's not secured down, that's hitting the floorboard. I'm redoing my exhaust here soon and will have it secured down pretty good.

What does RAFIG and RAFPN stand for anyways? __ Airflow in Gear and Park Neutral?

Thanks so much!
    Attached Files Attached Files

#1 - (helpful tip) You shouldn't be logging more than 24 channels. It kills resolution in your logs. You have 33 channels tied up there.

#2 - Your map (any map) should look like the table in the tune that your trying to change. You should only have one column. For RAFIG adjustments, I made my column RPM referenced with ",8000" as the label. The rows should be labeled the same as the table in the tune (ECT's in the grey boxes on the left). The RAFIG pid is your data. But, the kicker is, I don't really use the map feature when changing desired idle airflow. I look at the charts on the dashboard's second page (page B). If you highlight a group of frames, it will display the high, low, and average for that selection. I use that to quickly determine the average RAFIG for a given ECT.

#3 - The average correction for each temp based on the log you attached should be as follows:

32*C = 0.00 (no correction in log)
    44*C = +2.10 (add 2.1 to your table)
    56*C = -5.10 (subtract from your table)
    68*C = -3.80
    80*C = -3.00
    92*C = -3.00
    Last edited by SSpdDmon; August 4th, 2007 at 03:38 PM.

I must be setting my map up wrong. I get -1.328 at 44*C and .853 at 32*C. What do I need to change?

Thanks for all your help

Lifetime Member

check your units, are you in g/sec or lb/min?

I'm pretty sure I made it all g/sec

I probably should have been more clear earlier...responses have been edited.

In the 'map' view, the cells for each ECT will average the range between the various ECT's on the left. For example, the average RAFIG correction in your map for 44*C (-1.328grams/sec) is really the average correction for all temps between 38.1*C and 49.9*C.

What I explained to do was to look at 44*C and ignore all of the crap inbetween. When you filter out the data to show only 44*C, the average correction shows a different story (+2.1 grams/second). That's the data you want to use and that's why my number is different than yours.
    Last edited by SSpdDmon; August 4th, 2007 at 03:38 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast