Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool to help tune A4 shift points...

Default Tool to help tune A4 shift points...

Well...spreadsheet. Here ya go. Now you can visually see the upshifts next to the downshifts and the TCC applies/releases next to each other without having to flip between multiple tables in the software. It's pre-filled with the numbers I'm going to try in my friend's A4 F-body (4.10's) this weekend.

What to do with it:

Start with your upshifts and downshifts before playing with the TCC apply/releases. First off, copy/paste (no labels) your Normal, Part Throttle vs. VSS upshifts/downshifts/TCC Apply/TCC Release columns into the appropriate columns on the left side of the spreadsheet.

We'll start with the first graph (Shifts). What you're looking at is upshifts represented by solid lines and downshifts by hashed/dotted lines. I tried to color code it so the upshift is slightly darker than the downshift (i.e. 3>4 is red and 4>3 is orange) - it helps a little visually. Anyway, ideally you want to keep your upshifts greater than your downshifts between a given set of gears. Personally, I like to keep the downshift slightly higher than the previous gear change's upshift. So, the general rule for this graph is:

(2-to-1)<(1-to-2)<(3-to-2)<(2-to-3)<(4-to-3)<(3-to-4)

The next two graphs help you to see where the TCC will apply and release in relation to the shifts that can affect it. The first one (TCC 3rd Gear) is a little tricky because sometimes people cruise around in D instead of (D). Here you want your TCC apply to be greater than or equal to your upshift AND greater than your TCC release. Technically the PCM will command the TCC to release for a downshift, but I like to keep the TCC release slightly higher than the downshift. That way, if a downshift is commanded, the TCC is already disengaged. It also serves to let the converter 'work' in certain scenarios. For example, say the car is slowing down going up a hill even though you're giving it 25% throttle. The TCC will release and you can make use of the toqure multiplication of the stall before it'll downshift into the lower gear. So, the general rule for this graph is:

(3-to-2)<(3rd Rel.)<(3rd App.) AND (2-to-3)<(3rd App.)

Another thing to note...when cars have a loose aftermarket stall, it's a good idea to max out the first two TP% rows to prevent what I call inverted lockup. This is when the engine speed is spinning slower than the drivetrain and the TCC decides to lockup. When this happens, it feels like you went to hit the gas and found the brake pedal instead.

The next graph (TCC 4th Gear) works just like the previous one. The rule here is:

(4-to-3)<(4th Rel.)<(4th App.) AND (3-to-4)<(4th App.)

Again, note the first two rows being maxed out to prevent inverted lockup.

The final graph (TCC - 3rd & 4th) is there for further visualization, but it wasn't really necessary as 3rd & 4th TCC apply/release technically have nothing to do with each other.

Hope that helps some...

The nice thing is, you can set this up for a few cars and then "Save as" Trans-3.73s or whatever. Then...before you know it, you'll have a worksheet for most any combination. That way, when the next car rolls in, all you have to do is copy over the numbers from the right spreadsheet.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by joecar; November 17th, 2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: corrected 3rd gear tcc relations; made color more redder

Ahhh... ...up/down-shifts on the same page... easy on the brain.
    Last edited by joecar; April 21st, 2017 at 09:15 AM.

Looks cool! Now I have to figure out how to utilize it! LOL! I hate the autos!

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Lifetime Member

pardon my ignorance, but how is this to be used? all i see is a visualization of curves, it doesn't tell me what's good/bad

Quote Originally Posted by redhardsupra
    pardon my ignorance, but how is this to be used? all i see is a visualization of curves, it doesn't tell me what's good/bad
    I edited the original post to give you some general rules to observe when using the spreadsheet.

*cough*cough*sticky*cough
    Last edited by SSpdDmon; August 2nd, 2007 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks for sharing the spreadsheet! I was trying to figure out how to display all shifts on the same graph before this came along.

Jay

Thanks for sharing the spreadsheet! Just found it on Google when I was trying to figure out how to display all shifts. Jessica
    Life is too short - Live it Great! Search

This is great , wish I had found this along time ago. just have to remember to adjust for the mph/kph when compairing.
    Cheers Ian

This is the best place to start tranny tuning. Put those values in the normal section and get started.
    01 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3 cam swap
    Tuned by ME (COS 5 - running strong and smooth)

Has there been anyone done something like this for the A6.
    Cheers Ian

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast