I have messed with different variations of shift patterns, earlier shift, later shift, stock shift, etc.

I have found that a bit higher rpm shift than stock, allowed improved acceleration from the improved gear multiplication, but seems to allow me less throttle input more consistently, and less need to force a downshift in dense traffic when traffic changes speed rapidly and I need to keep up. I have a heavy car, so it does help with the gearing I have (3.08's, previously 3.42's, which will go back in soon).

I have also been concentrating on doing long decels as well, which also seem to have a good improvement on fuel economy.

If a tight rear end backlash, leaving TCC locked on decel is very welcome for drivability and allowing DFCO to stay engaged longer as the rpm drop with an unlocked converter doesn't drop as fast, so stalling is much less a risk, and there is typcially another 10 mph lower DFCO stays on. If rear axle backlash is sloppy, this is VERY annoying and possibly destructive.

Just thoughts....