Thread: Scan Tool lag issue!! Help!!

Lifetime Member

Default Scan Tool lag issue!! Help!!

I have noticed a certain issue when running Scan Tool on my laptop.

During a logging session, the highlighted cell will not match the current operationing conditions. For example: I will rev the motor. The highlighted cell will not change position for a while. Then it will mirror what just happened 3-5 seconds too late and FINALLY settle back down at the cell I am idling at.

I believe that might be a huge cause for error!

Could this be a hardware issue? Or maybe a software issue caused by laggy vista??

This is my computer specs

Vista Home Premium bd# 6000
    2 gig ram
    1.8 ghz Turion 64 2xcore
    10 gigs devoted to paging file

Interestingly my Scan tool says build version 515 and 644 on the about screen.

On the PIDs tab, at the bottom of the window, check to see that no more than 24 channels are being used (i.e. 24 or less).

Also under Edit->Properties->Logging check that Scan Mode is Stream Fast.

Lifetime Member

Hi ya JoeCar.
    Thank you for the quick response.

Let me throw out some more info really quick.

I am logging 17 parameters. It was on Stream-Fast but I went ahead and click on RECALL ALL just to make sure.

Anything else it could be?

Could it be that I was logging with more than one map? I had 3 map open. VE, KR, and one that showed the avg of how IAT affected the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_z28_six_speed
    Hi ya JoeCar.
    Thank you for the quick response.

Let me throw out some more info really quick.

I am logging 17 parameters. It was on Stream-Fast but I went ahead and click on RECALL ALL just to make sure.

Anything else it could be?

Could it be that I was logging with more than one map? I had 3 map open. VE, KR, and one that showed the avg of how IAT affected the car.
    Hi Ya...

That could well be it... when I log live, I usually have either the chart maximized, or one map maximized... so the software has to update either one chart only or one map only versus a combination of multiple maps/charts/dashboards.

I've noticed that when viewing the gauge dashboard it seems to slow down if there are a lot of gauges.

Lifetime Member

Starting with the first RTACS release, I've noticed that if the tune tool is open simultaneously and has any "color-coded" table open (VE, any spark table, etc), the scan tool will lag behind actual data if in chart mode.

Lifetime Member

Very interesting. The gears are turning once again!

I will have to try this out as soon as the roads dry up a little.

I find, with my sluggish dinosaur of a laptop, that I will frequently lag if I am not careful. Closing the Tuning Tool before starting to scan usually prevents the problem but it seems to be memory-focused, so I can have the same thing if I have tortured my computer by having five bazillion other app sessions going (as I usually do at work (I only have nine apps open at the moment...))

EDIT: Oh! Forgot to mention - as a general rule, don't watch "interesting stuff" on your laptop while you are driving! (Switching to PIDs or Data is less "expensive" that watching Dashboard or Maps, especially on long logs.)
    Last edited by gto_in_nc; August 30th, 2007 at 01:44 PM.
    2004 Pontiac GTO - Quicksilver/red/m6
    1-of-344

Lifetime Member

I went around and tried it a little tonight. Seemed to help. I am going to try it one more time maybe tomorrow just to make sure this fixs the issue!

So far so good.

I like that weather banner BTW. It speaks my language. hehe

I had the same issue awhile ago, with Vista. It would just get slower and slower and more delayed. I found if I went from MAPs back to Gauges it would come good and then back to MAPs. I re-installed some software and it just came good. I tried numerous installs and re-installs and was still there. Maybe it was a strange driver issue I done know.

Jez

Lifetime Member

I think closing out Tuning Tool while running Scan Tune has helped. Now I am trying to just view the data and not the maps. Maybe that will help.
    Last edited by 2002_z28_six_speed; September 1st, 2007 at 04:22 PM.