Thread: Idle question With Cam, etc and VE Table

Default Idle question With Cam, etc and VE Table

I am running a 224/228 /114 and idle is always a difficult issue. With a cam, sensors are obviously seeing a rich idle condition and over compensating by making car lean when doing VE when in idle cell, 45KPA/800 rpm.

What is the best way to find sweet spot for idle/VE table value? I've tried bidi and played with afr @ idle and did not notice big difference. Is there a more scientific or verifiable method to tweak idle?

Makes me also question values in VE table where I hit cruise and kpa values of 30-35. At lower rpm's I am assuming these VE table values would probably be lean as well.
    2015 Z06 A8

Lifetime Member

I take it you are using a wideband and not looking at fuel trims as a guide.....? whats your timing at idle in the base map? Have you done the RAFIG process ( very important ) .
    Setting with a wide band to around 14:1 should acheive a reasonable idle but you will find timing and the RAFIG process the key not AFR as much...
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

Car is in OLSD and I use WB02 for tuning. I have done RAFIG and it is close based on latest results.

Timing is currently @ 22* @ idle

At this point, I am not that comfortable with the WB02 @ idle. With all my mods, car tend to go lean as it idles aproaching and hitting 16-17:1. Once I am moving afr's come back in line. 02 sensor is new.
    2015 Z06 A8

Lifetime Member

Ok> are you actually having a problem with a crappy rough idle or are you concerned about the AFR values you are "seeing" on the wideband. An important question as the "AFR" at idle when the O2 in in the tailpipe can move around a lot with reversion of normal atmosphere entering the exhaust. Positioning it in a bung further up the exhaust fixes this problem it reads more accurately as well.....
    I think this may be the case as you say that once you start moving the AFR's read close to what you might expect.....

Mike
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

Try setting the idle timing to something more like 35-40 degrees. That should help pick the idle quality up a bunch