Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Way For MAF Tuning ?

Default Better Way For MAF Tuning ?

Well, the auto VE tune is finished and now I need to move on to MAF Tuning. From what I've read many tune their MAP, and MAF seperately. When they turn both of them on togeather the car runs poorly.

My approach will be to run in open loop, with a wide band, log MAF Freq vs GPS and correct the MAF Freq table off the wide band info. I think the key here is I will not be driving the car at all. I'll start at 5000 rpm and hold the pedal steady until i get enough data at each Freq and work my way down the MAF Freq table to idle. Adjust the table and check my work.

I've tuned Buick GN MAF's this way with great success.

The reasoning behind this approach is the MAF on a LS1 is really only being used at a steady throttle below 4000 rpm. If the throttle is moving then the MAP (VE) table is being used in conjunction with the MAF.

Everyone's input pro's and con's on the idea are appreciated. I think we all would like an easier way to tune the MAF, especially for poor idle and tip in problems.

Lifetime Member

???

I just did AutoVE OLSD - car ran great

then tuned MAF setting the car to use the maf from 400rpm rather than 4000rmp. Got the MAF table scaled - only took about 3 road runs to get it there. and by that I mean fairly quick runs, the MAF scaled in very quickly once the VE table had been done. Basically I used the Speed Density tune and just plugged the maf in and re-enabled it prior to logging. Reset maf back to 4000rpm afterwards combined the two = car runs great, I just ued the b5001 MAF map in the scan tool.

For what it's worth, I think screwing with MAF calibrations is the wrong way to go-- unless the MAF has been altered. As far as I can see, somebody at GM or one of their suppliers spent a good deal of time working out the original MAF settings. That being the case, I would assume that they are considerably more accurate than any numbers I could come up with, unless I did a calibration check on a flow bench. That being the case, if you alter the MAF calibration table, all you're doing is using erroneous data to alter fuel flow. I think it makes a lot more sense to do that with the VE table. You're probably going to have to modify it anyhow, so why introduce another set of variables by altering the MAF calibration? Even in full MAF mode, the system still uses the VE table, so altering it will affect fuel flow. With some other MAF-based systems, there's either no VE table, or it's only used in the event of a MAF failure. That's not the case with LS1/LS6 and E40 control systems.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Quote Originally Posted by dfe1
    For what it's worth, I think screwing with MAF calibrations is the wrong way to go-- unless the MAF has been altered. As far as I can see, somebody at GM or one of their suppliers spent a good deal of time working out the original MAF settings. That being the case, I would assume that they are considerably more accurate than any numbers I could come up with, unless I did a calibration check on a flow bench. That being the case, if you alter the MAF calibration table, all you're doing is using erroneous data to alter fuel flow. I think it makes a lot more sense to do that with the VE table. You're probably going to have to modify it anyhow, so why introduce another set of variables by altering the MAF calibration? Even in full MAF mode, the system still uses the VE table, so altering it will affect fuel flow. With some other MAF-based systems, there's either no VE table, or it's only used in the event of a MAF failure. That's not the case with LS1/LS6 and E40 control systems.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Just have not had any luck figuring out how to run AutoVE with MAF. IMHO that would give all weather results!

2000 C5 Coupe, 6M, Callies/Mahle stroked LS7 (441), Blackwing, Halltech, LS3 intake, 90mm Shaner TB, ported L92 heads, FAST 50# inj, not too much cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers , 3" catless mid pipes, Z TIs, track suspension, , 3:90 rear, EFI V2, LM-2, etc.
    PowrMax Performance

100 mm PowrMAF

LM-2 EFILIve package with TAQ -sLM2 V-2 serial cable> Package deals

Lifetime Member

You could also therefore argue that everything stock is as optimum as possible out of the factory, rather than having to accomodate varying fuel quality, air temp, weather etc.

I can understand what you are saying but again some tuners use the IFR to get the commanded AFR etc. All I know now is my VE is dialed in for running in OLSD but now my maf is scaled in whilst the MAF is working the AFR matches commanded, if the maf was to fail and revert to SD only well then my VE table is dialed in for that.

ttt
    Last edited by voda1; September 11th, 2007 at 03:53 AM.

Lifetime Member

if your VE is dead on (i doubt it, because AutoVE method does not account for temperature swings, as it attributes ALL airmass changes to VE) why not map out the VE resulting airflow (DynAir) on the MAF scale? also remember that MAFflow vs MAFhz is a 3rd order polynomial, so use that to shape the MAF curve.

Lifetime Member

my head just went

Quote Originally Posted by stigmundfreud
    my head just went

What??? You never used a 3rd order polynomial to reshape a curve????
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Lifetime Member

Werd! It is just a regression. Man. Math 00000001, infact. Take it easy.

There are many data programs available for free that will do this for you. Just enter the data. Or use a graphing calculator. Even MS Excell will form the regression for you.

I think we have to all remember that the shape of your intake could effect how much the MAF sees. This could skew the data if your intake is different from stock in diameter or angle.

Think about a stock intake having more of the air flowing on one side. You modify the intake and now most of it flows on the other side....

Now for injectors there is little better than factory measurements unless you have a different fuel pressure setting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast