Thread: Anyone have strange WBO2 logging results with your laptop?

Default Anyone have strange WBO2 logging results with your laptop?

I have been working on AutoVE tuning my WS6 over the last week using my FlashScan V2. I would notice that one day I would have the AFR's very close to Commanded and, but then the next day everything was richer, or leaner in my logs. With no rhyme or reason.

Well, I figured out today that it was actually the AC adapter for my laptop! I use an IBM T30 laptop with a AC/DC adapter which plugs into the cigarette lighter and then into the back of my T30. When the laptop is running on the adapter (versus on battery only) the voltage and corresponding AFR values I am reading from my LC-1, are all richer by .40 to .60 AFR. (.2 to .5 volts usually) Then when I unplug the adapter they snap back inline with my AFR Gauge in the car. When I plug the laptop into the AC adapter that plugs into the wall in my garage, the values are not skewed. They are just the same as when on the laptop's battery. It is only when using my AC/DC adapter. I have tested this with the car off, running and even with a battery booster thinking it was a supply voltage issue. Same thing.

I then thought it may be a powersaving feature of the T30 or Windows slowing ports or bus speeds to save power. It did the same thing with power saving on or off.

So, if anyone is logging a 0-5v signal with a laptop running on an AC/DC adapter, check your values with the adapter plugged in and unplugged. You may have a similar difference and not even know it.

2002 WS6, All-Lunati 383 Strok'r @11:1, Cartek Heads, Keith/Ross Racing Custom Cam, Victor Jr., 492whp 457wtq,
    Cartek Clutch, 9" Moser w/4.11's, 35 spline Detroit Locker, QA1's, NX, BMR, Tuned w/ EFILive V2 Black Box Logging
    Check Out My Latest Tune File: HERE

It has to do with the ground connection from the AC/DC adapter pulling all grounds to the same level (vehicle, WB, V2, laptop), which isn't what all of them want to be at.

I would leave the AC/DC adapter disconnected when laptop is connected to vehicle.

Lifetime Member

I havent noticed this, but never logged AFR when I had my buddy's laptop for tuning. Now on my new one, I can run EFILive and mess with tunes but its Vista Ultimate x64 so I cant connect my V2. :(
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22
    I havent noticed this, but never logged AFR when I had my buddy's laptop for tuning. Now on my new one, I can run EFILive and mess with tunes but its Vista Ultimate x64 so I cant connect my V2. :(
    I can't download the latest version of EFI LIVE 22 Jul 2007 edition or whatever.